Help With A Bit Of Worms? Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Misstubbytubtub, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Misstubbytubtub

MisstubbytubtubValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +24
    So Ive been cycling my 5.6 fluval spec tank with some plants for 3 weeks now. I recently added some Ludwigia from petsmart because they looked healthy and nice. A day or two later, I noticed detritus worms or white worms on my glass. First a few and now im seeing quite a bit and theyre floating too. I know they can be beneficial for a planted aquarium but i dont like seeing it. Ive been adding Co2 and Thrive Shrimp in the aquarium to help it the plants and future shrimps i want to have once its all cycled. But the worms are really bothering me.

On the same day i added the plants, I added 2 snails in there to help with whatever decaying plants and algae that was forming their initially. Ive also been adding stability 7 days 2 weeks ago plus 3 days ever since ive added the snails. So far, theyre doing alright and i was hoping they would eat the worms. If i should be worried, please tell me, otherwise i could just leave them in the tank for now until my tank stabalizes.

Ill try to add a video if needed. Some of them were really fast. 20190823_172843.

2. SaltyPhone

SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +359
    Experience:
    1 year
    They aren’t usually a detriment to your tank and I wouldn’t be worried. If you have a guppy tank; wich you definitely should if you don’t. They will decimate worm colonies!

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree, the worms should not be harmful to your fish. Between water changes and the fish eating them, the population should start reducing. Try to avoid over feeding.

4. OP
    OP
    Misstubbytubtub

Ratings:
    +24
    The puzzling thing is that i dont even feed the tank with anything. No fish food as of yet. Im letting the snails eat whatever plant matter at this time and algae and will supplement eventually. I looked at the aquarium again and i swear there is more. I dont really know whats wrong.

Ill do a 50 or 70 percent water change today and hopefully that will vaccum them.

I have attached a gif to show the movements.

Worms worms worms. Worms worms worms.

Note* thats real speed.

5. BobbyGregg

BobbyGreggNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    1 year
    detritus worms

6. OP
    OP
    Misstubbytubtub

Ratings:
    +24
    Just an update but im seeing these shorter and faster moving "things" in my tank that seem like planaria. Theyre moving much differently than the white detritus on my glass. These guys are swimming. I have no idea what they are but im comparing them to planaria pictures. I can barely take a picture.

7. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It very well could be planaria.

8. Magicpenny75

Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    All of these critters are thriving in a predator-free environment. It will happen any time you start a new tank with a fishless cycle. Daphnia, cyclops, worms, and all these little critters seem to materialize out of thin air. Once you introduce predators (i.e. fish and/or shrimp) the visible numbers will be reduced on their own. Consider that they aren't necessarily bad to have. Although unsightly right now, they become part of the natural cleanup crew and will continue t live in the substrate and filter media, where they help to process and break down organic matter so it can be filtered out and removed with water changes. Embrace that you have a tiny ecosystem in your tank, and scavengers and detrivores are just part of the system. An aquarium where the only thing living in it is fish is just a fishtank.

9. OP
    OP
    Misstubbytubtub

Ratings:
    +24
    Thank you. I will definitely keep this all in mind. Hopefully as i add in more shrimps and snails, itll reduce. But I'll definitely keep up with the water changes. Thank you for the input ! 20190829_180138.20190829_180128.