Help With 30 Gallon Freshwater Tank

1. AquaticLife

AquaticLife New Member Member

Hi everybody...

I'm new to the site so this is my first post. I hope to learn a lot here and be a part of the community. I also have a question about a tank I'm setting up so let me get to it.

I have a 30 gallon that is currently going through a fishless cycle and I want to get settled on my stocking I plan to build up to. I would like to have a Bolivian Ram and a mix of Rummy Nose Tetras and either Neon or Cardinal Tetras as well. What I want to know is, how many of the Rummy and Neon or Cardinal Tetras can I keep with the Bolivian Ram? Like 10 and 10 maybe? And also depending on the number of those... Would I have room for some kind of small Corydoras for the bottom? If so, what kind and how many lol? The tank is being planted heavily btw with sand as a sub.

Any help I could get with this would be greatly appreciated. Also... I do not plan to add all the fish at once. I know better than that.

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Hey welcome to the forum and to the hobby might want to do some research on MTS :p

regarding stocking I wouldn't do cardinal tetras with Bolivians rams because they require different temps. Bolivians ram need water between 72f-75f while cardinals need 78f-82f

I would suggest a stock like this

1 Dwarf Gourami or 2 Honey Gourami (male/female)
    2 Bolivian Rams (male/female)
    8 Rummy nose Tetra
    8 Neon Tetras
    8 Panda corys

keep the temp at 74f

3. sweendog87

sweendog87 Valued Member Member

Awsome answer and nice stock list

Welcome to the forum aquaticlife and good luck with your new tank what plants do you plan on getting and are you putting them in before the fish?

4. OP
    OP
    AquaticLife

Haha yes I may end up having a problem with MTS in the near future. Ok I like that stocking list but what I'm curious about is the pair of the Rams and Honey Gouramis. I've heard people have had problems with the male fish in both groups of fish chasing their female counterparts to the point of stressing the other fish. At this time I don't have a backup tank big enough to transfer any of them if I have a problem. I do have a 10 gallon as a med tank but that's it at the moment. Would it be ok to have one of each? Like 1 ram and 1 honey gourami?

Check other post lol made a mistake and don't know how to delete this one.

Well I figured since I'm new to all of this I would go with some water sprite...java moss....and some anubias nana and just go crazy with those lol ..They seem to be a good place for beginners. If you have any ideas please feel free to let me know. I'm open to try anything that will be good for beginners. Also I was planning on adding some of the plants before any fish go in there and then continuing to add on as the tank gets matured a bit.

5. JesseMoreira06

You diffinetly can have 1 of each if you would rather , I would just bring up the schools of dithers to 10 each in that case.

6. Mac's

Mac's New Member Member

I am probably going to cop some flak over this. But IME i have found rams go perfectly fine in higher temps, and in higher temps.
    My Bolivians live in the middle to match my discus quite well.

MTS is something which leads to many strange places. Mine has started get me planning for around another 70 tanks in my fish room.

7. JesseMoreira06

Electric Blue Rams and German Blue Rams thrive in temps between 78f-82f where as bolivian rams need lower levels to thrive 72f-75f.

8. Mac's

Mac's New Member Member

IME having kept both GBR and EBR as well as the Bolivian's they seem and appear to do perfectly fine in a middle ground over temperature. For me I think a lot of issues are over looked through the internet regarding temp and the wild caught fish.
    Most species now days are fish farmed, thus they are more adaptive to various temps and water parameters.

For example my discus spawn in low tempts which according to some people should be making them go black and curl up and die. [25'c] Not only do they spawn they have no color lose or weight loss.

9. OP
    OP
    AquaticLife

Ok yeah I'll just add to the schools. Thank you for the help! I appreciate people that take the time to share information with people just starting out.

10. Kristie Bivens

Kristie Bivens New Member Member

My Bolivians are doing great with my Angels in a higher temp.

11. JesseMoreira06

Bolivian rams can live in higher temps , but they will not thrive. Where as EBR and GBR require warmer temps to thrive. Fish are great at adapting to deferent conditions but doesn't mean their thriving, their coloring might not be to full potential or they may be prone to diseases ect...9 out of 10 times people who have kept GBR or EBR at temps lower then 78f experience nothing but problems.