Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Help With 20gal Stock Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by newbettaboy12345, Mar 27, 2019.

1. newbettaboy12345Valued MemberMember

I have a 20 gal (not long) and it currently houses 4 adult endlers live bearers and 4 fry

Id really like a nice centerpiece fish to go into the aquarium with these guys. I was thinking of a betta (male or female, probably a female though) but im afraid that it might be too aggressive. I know that every fish is different, but im general would it be a good or bad idea to do this

Also, other center piece ideas id like to hear!

2. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

If the temp is right get a dumbo halfmoon betta. Even if they are aggressive they won't catch the endless. Just watch for nipping.
    Not sure there's a centerpiece that won't eat babies...
    What about a school of pygmy cories instead?

3. imbaWell Known MemberMember

A honey gourami

4. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

agree with above, honey gouramis are great!

5. newbettaboy12345Valued MemberMember

By temp is that Temperature or temperament ?

6. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

i'm not an expert, but from many people here i've heard that the minimum for any betta community (sororities, male betta comm.) is a 20gal long. the betta would need horizontal space to be able to run away as opposed to vertical space. most fish swim horizontal instead of vertical so 20h tanks can be limiting. betta communities don't always work out.. some bettas are more aggressive and some are more passive. you want the passive ones for your community, but it may be hard to find a passive betta. you never know for sure how it'll act when you get home with it. even if the community does work out, you have to be wary of the betta snapping the next day. depending on the betta it will appear stressed, even if it's being passive.

7. Thedudeiam94Valued MemberMember

Kilifish are nice additions! They have a shorter lifespan than most other fish being that they only live for a year but they are beautiful fish.

8. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

Temperature
    I've kept a bunch of bettas with feeder guppies, which are like endless, and as long as they have long fins, they rarely, if at all, caught the guppies.

9. newbettaboy12345Valued MemberMember

Alright thanks for the input.

Before making it a community tank, i will be removing all of the endlers to completely free up the stocking

Can anyone help me stock this with one center piece fish along with a school of somethig else ? Thank you

10. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

they love babies try a single apisto they will eat babies to but just provide good cover and you could be good and a school of habrosus would be cool to

11. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

get a koi betta!! then you dont need to mess around baffling the filter since they have short fins and can actually swim

12. newbettaboy12345Valued MemberMember

Could honey gouramis go with fancy guppies ? Neon tetras ? Otos ?

13. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

the neon tetras and the guppies, yes. as for the otos i'm pretty sure it's ok, i don't have much knowledge about them.

14. Otocinclus13Valued MemberMember

Espei rasboras are good schoolers and they stay pretty small (around an inch max if I remember right) so you could have a good-sized school. I would do a honey gourami or a single apisto, as others have said. If you do the honey gourami, a school of habrosus cory cats or kuhli loaches would make good bottom-dwellers. If you do the apisto you might want to let it have the bottom level to itself since they can get a little territorial at times and a 20 tall has a relatively small footprint.

15. newbettaboy12345Valued MemberMember

Would a pair of honey gouramis be good in a 20 gal along with some neon tetras or another kind of schooling fish ?

16. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

Yeah, definitely, you could probably add a school of pygmy cories too I'm.

17. newbettaboy12345Valued MemberMember

Im afraid the pygmy cories will mess up my substrate or uproot plants and stuff

18. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

Definitely not, I've had them in just about as densely planted as I could get and never once did that happen. They tend to be mid water fish and rest in plants but still sometimes go to the bottom.

19. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

if you get a male and a female, watch closely to see if the male is chasing the female. if that's the case, get another female to balance out the chasing, so it isn't targeted at the same female all the time.

20. PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

Please do your research before you post something. It is not true that all killifish only live for a year. There are annual killis who only live a year but plenty of others have a lifespan of several years. There are more than 1000 species of killifish.