Help with 2.5g

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Do you guys know a good filter for a 2.5g aquarium? I really want a 2.5g hospital tank, which I may be transfering to a 2.5g shrimp since I have another 2.5g I can use. I have all I need for the tank except for a good filter, so does anyone know a good filter for a 2.5g.

I also have a 55/77 and 10 aqueon filters which I'm interested in building sponge on top of my current filters in order to keep any fry born in those tanks from being sucked in especially the 55 which is going to be turned into a guppy tank which means many babies will be born.

That means I need to get sponge on the filter to make it work.

Thanks ahead. I am interested in not getting a seperate sponge filter but adding sponge on the current filter.

2. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

How bout a Tetra 3i?

3. cameronpalte Member Member

I've heard about the tetra 3i but when looking at some reviews on pet smart everything said not really worth it and bad filter and it got 2.5 stars/5 on amazon and 3 stars/5 on petsmart so it doesn't seem like a really safe decision to me. And it doesn't have any of the filter foam I am also looking for, I was thinking at pet co getting filter circular foam and putting it on my 55 but for my 10 there is a small area on bottom where water goes in too.

4. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I had a 3i in my 2 gal, I replaced the cartridge it came with with a piece of filter foam I cut to fit in it.

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Go for a sponge filter. It's the best type of filter you could get for a small tank IMO. I made my own sponge filters with precycled media so I could have an instant cycle for my QT tank.

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree w/ small sponge filter or even air stone.
    I added sponge to my existing powerhead. I bought the foam online at Amazon real cheap and cut it to fit. Works great. (Foam was for Aquaclear 500 generic foam)
    See:

Attached Files:

7. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I have a 3i in a 2.5 gallon Betta tank. It's one of the quietest filters I have and I think it works great. The tank is clean and there's not too much suction or flow. I'm not sure what it costs, but it might be a viable option. Sponge filters are also very nice, but I didn't care for the size proportions of the filter compared to my tank. Depending on the sponge filters you look at, it may be more practical to get the 3i. Keep in mind that with a sponge filter you also need an air pump.

8. cameronpalte Member Member

Wouldn't the 3i still suck up any baby fish through the intake?

cost isn't really a problem for me with filters for tanks this size. I can try to get a 3i and see how it works. And my 2.5g will come standard with airpump and over airflow because I only have 2 (5g) as my hospital tanks and it may have to hold fish in it that make it way overstocked so I want to make sure they have the best enviroment possible.

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

10. cameronpalte Member Member

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

12. cameronpalte Member Member

Yeah I'll probably use a sponge for my 10g and 2.5g. Thanks for the help!

For my 55g while browsing sponge filters I saw some replaced sponges and after some research and looking at my tank found I only need 2 replacement sponges ($8) to stick on to my filter tube for the aqueon filter and it will keep fry from entering while still working just requires slightly more maintanence of squezing out the sponge.

13. cameronpalte Member Member

14. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Nothing special. Just connect to an air pump and you're in business!

Sponge filters create circulation, aerate the water, break surface tension for gas exchange, provide much surface area for bacteria and trap larger particles floating in the water.