Help with 100W heater for 30G

1. I

Ilovefish3s Valued Member Member

Good evening fish lovers. I have a 100W aqueon
    Heater. And it's set a 88 and for some reason the water is hot then maybe the next day it's get cool
    It's it normal for the heater to shut off when the water has heated up
    Should I get a 150W or
    200W

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why are you setting it to 88 F?

You want 3-5 watts per gallon, so a 90-150 watt heater is fine. The one you have should work, but it wouldn't hurt to get a 150 watt instead.

Can you measure the specific temps? What do you mean by hot and cool?

It's entirely possible the heater is malfunctioning, and I'd get a new one if that's the case.

3. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I started with a 100W for my 29 gallon, but I eventually upgraded to a 150W as it has a much easier time keeping the water temp steady year-round.

4. OP
    OP
    I

I set it at 88 just to see if the water would get warm
    I mean sometimes it's hot. And sometime cool.
    I got a cheap thermometer. But I don't think it's working good
    I'm thinking maybe because the heater isn't in all way into the water that's why it isn't working properly.[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    I

Yep I think I'll do that

6. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I love the Aqueon Pro 150W. An aqueon 100W came with my 29 gal starter kit years ago but I found that at certain times of the year it struggled to maintain a consistent temp.

7. OP
    OP
    I

O really. Yours came with the starting kit. Maybe I'll just get a different one. Yep mines is really struggling right now

8. OP
    OP
    I

Sometimes it comes on. Sometimes it shuts off. I could tell could of that orange light

9. TexasDomer

You don't want the temp to fluctuate from "hot" to "cool" so quickly.

When you say it goes from hot to cool, how do you know? What range does the temp go through when you're seeing this?

So you set it at 88 F to see how warm it gets? That's not a good idea. With the thermometers that aren't super accurate, I set it lower than what I want it at, wait a day or two, and see where the temp is. If it's too low still, I'll turn the heater up a bit, wait a day or two, check temp, and repeat if necessary. Cranking it high to see what happens isn't a good idea.

10. OP
    OP
    I

Ooo ok. Now I know. Thanks
    I know it's going hot or warm to cool because I push my finger in there. My thermometer doesn't work too well
    I thought it only takes a hr or two for the water to heat up

11. TexasDomer

Larger tanks take longer.

I would invest in a better thermometer.

12. OP
    OP
    I

A 30G I have
    Ok. Does your thermometer works good ?

13. TexasDomer

I have Aqueon submersible heaters too, but I'll replace them when I start noticing issues. I haven't had any issues with them so far though.

14. OP
    OP
    I

Ok. What Thermometer tho ??

15. TexasDomer

I don't have a great tank thermometer, but I check them with cooking thermometers.

You can get a good digital thermometer (I'll be getting some soon) to get accurate readings.