Help with 10 gallon betta tank design (and clay pot question)

betta06

Well Known
I have had this tank for a while but everything got moved around and now I don't like it.... I really want to do a under water garden look (with real plants) and have a small terra cotta pot already in the tank but this brings me to my question are clay pots aquarium safe? it looks pretty much the same as a terra cotta pot and was purchased at my local garden centre.

I would love any suggestions! and will get some pictures of the tank right away!

JLAquatics you are a great at aquascaping got any suggestions for it?

the tank with the black sand if the one my rabbit snail is ruining by eating all the plants so if marsilia does good in tanks with gravel I might move it there.

and I know his tank looks terrible lol. hopefully I can fix that!

Attachments

• B97CFE7F-2F28-4AB7-9A4B-DBF53F13ACA7.jpeg
    B97CFE7F-2F28-4AB7-9A4B-DBF53F13ACA7.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 27
  • CB0CDCE3-0AAB-4FCE-83F2-2D349052D103.jpeg
    CB0CDCE3-0AAB-4FCE-83F2-2D349052D103.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 36
  • B56D304B-9F02-4E59-B108-7CCA3F152AEA.jpeg
    B56D304B-9F02-4E59-B108-7CCA3F152AEA.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 33

MyFishAddiction

Well Known
As long as they are not glazed, and just the normal terracotta, they should be fine.

Shrimpgeek

I've used pots from unknown sources, and never had a problem. But when it comes to bricks... Death

OP
betta06

betta06

Well Known
As long as they are not glazed, and just the normal terracotta, they should be fine.
so a clay pot is the same as terracotta? I posted a picture above of what it looks like.

JLAquatics

Well Known
Any piece of premade fired ceramic or pottery will be safe and won't change water parameters for any fish tank as long as it is not glazed, painted, or coated with anything unnatural. If there is a small hole in the bottom of the clay pot, make sure it is sealed where no fish can go through. There have been stories on the web of people's fishes getting stuck in these small drainage holes and dying as a result, so keep that in mind as well.

As for the design, I feel like you will have much better success with it is you have more hardscape pieces to work with. Additionally, it is best to stick with one of the 4 main aqua scaping styles and build up with plants from your hardscape. The hardscape is like the skeleton in your design and without this the tank will be very hard to plant effectively unless opting for the Dutch Style Aquascape. Additionally, the rocks used in your are different in color and there is not many to create a truly unique design. I recommend you switch out the rocks you currently have for a small set of inert Dragon Stone rocks. Not only do they look cool, but the rocks supplied should also be very similar in color and allow you to create a better design IMO. More is better than too little with creating a planted aquascape. ;)

ChrissFishes01

Well Known
Should be noted that some pots are glazed with polyurethane, and those are safe to use in aquariums IME. I use them in qt tanks a lot

OP
betta06

betta06

Well Known
Any piece of premade fired ceramic or pottery will be safe and won't change water parameters for any fish tank as long as it is not glazed, painted, or coated with anything unnatural. If there is a small hole in the bottom of the clay pot, make sure it is sealed where no fish can go through. There have been stories on the web of people's fishes getting stuck in these small drainage holes and dying as a result, so keep that in mind as well.

As for the design, I feel like you will have much better success with it is you have more hardscape pieces to work with. Additionally, it is best to stick with one of the 4 main aqua scaping styles and build up with plants from your hardscape. The hardscape is like the skeleton in your design and without this the tank will be very hard to plant effectively unless opting for the Dutch Style Aquascape. Additionally, the rocks used in your are different in color and there is not many to create a truly unique design. I recommend you switch out the rocks you currently have for a small set of inert Dragon Stone rocks. Not only do they look cool, but the rocks supplied should also be very similar in color and allow you to create a better design IMO. More is better than too little with creating a planted aquascape. ;)
thank you, that is really helpful! I don't have any Dragon Stone right now but I will definitely try and find some! (not sure if my lfs sells any though)

JLAquatics

Well Known
thank you, that is really helpful! I don't have any Dragon Stone right now but I will definitely try and find some! (not sure if my lfs sells any though)
No problem at all! I just feel many members are doubting their own ability to make a great planted aquascape but they just don't have the right resources to possibly create one. Once you get some more stones (You can most find some on Canadian Amazon.com, where you can just get a whole set which will likely be effective for coverage in your aquarium. If you do decide to go with Dragon Stone, make sure you wash out the stones when you get them. They often have clay deposits in the pores and this can really cloud your water up. Feel free to tag me again and we can make a great hardscape layout for this aquarium if you decide to go with Dragon Stone or another hardscape choice such as wood or another stone. Additionally, once you get the hardscape design completed, we can get to the most fun part, live plants! I can also make a render for you free of charge what your aquarium may look like completely planted!

StarGirl

Fishlore Legend
I have had this tank for a while but everything got moved around and now I don't like it.... I really want to do a under water garden look (with real plants) and have a small terra cotta pot already in the tank but this brings me to my question are clay pots aquarium safe? it looks pretty much the same as a terra cotta pot and was purchased at my local garden centre.

I would love any suggestions! and will get some pictures of the tank right away!

JLAquatics you are a great at aquascaping got any suggestions for it?

the tank with the black sand if the one my rabbit snail is ruining by eating all the plants so if marsilia does good in tanks with gravel I might move it there.

and I know his tank looks terrible lol. hopefully I can fix that!
Yes that is a normal terra cotta pot.

OP
betta06

betta06

Well Known
No problem at all! I just feel many members are doubting their own ability to make a great planted aquascape but they just don't have the right recourses to possibly create one. Once you get some more stones (You can most find some on Canadian Amazon.com, where you can just get a whole set which will likely be effective for coverage in your aquarium. If you do decide to go with Dragon Stone, make sure you wash out the stones when you get them. They often have clay deposits in the pores and this can really cloud your water up. Feel free to tag me again and we can make a great hardscape layout for this aquarium if you decide to go with Dragon Stone or another hardscape choice such as wood or another stone. Additionally, once you get the hardscape design completed, we can get to the most fun part, live plants! I can also make a render for you free of charge what your aquarium may look like completely planted!
thanks so much! I am switching to some extra white sand I have from another tank as I REALLY don't like this gravel. and I will get some more pictures once I get the main hardscape done.

EDIT.
sand is down! sadly there was not quite enough so I will have to get some more.
Yes that is a normal terra cotta pot.
are elastic bands safe? I want to use one to attach my Anubias to a branch.
No problem at all! I just feel many members are doubting their own ability to make a great planted aquascape but they just don't have the right resources to possibly create one. Once you get some more stones (You can most find some on Canadian Amazon.com, where you can just get a whole set which will likely be effective for coverage in your aquarium. If you do decide to go with Dragon Stone, make sure you wash out the stones when you get them. They often have clay deposits in the pores and this can really cloud your water up. Feel free to tag me again and we can make a great hardscape layout for this aquarium if you decide to go with Dragon Stone or another hardscape choice such as wood or another stone. Additionally, once you get the hardscape design completed, we can get to the most fun part, live plants! I can also make a render for you free of charge what your aquarium may look like completely planted!
Here is what I did so far. What do you think? I want it to look as nice as possible so I don’t mind doing a completely different look. (also it is still a bit cloudy and I have not filled it up yet)

Attachments

• F74F1A7C-C9FF-4156-9517-9F840923EB56.jpeg
    F74F1A7C-C9FF-4156-9517-9F840923EB56.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
betta06

betta06

Well Known
he build himself a bubbliest overnight! and the tank is fully cleared

JLAquatics

Well Known
he build himself a bubbliest overnight! and the tank is fully cleared
That's good to hear that your Betta is doing well! You could always make a tank journal for the development of this tank for the future.

OP
betta06

betta06

Well Known
That's good to hear that your Betta is doing well! You could always make a tank journal for the development of this tank for the future.
what do you think of the tank? does it look like it needs anything else....

JLAquatics

Well Known
I do feel that having a set of similar stones will make scaping your tank much easier as mentioned in my suggestions above to build up the aquascape from. You can then decide on plants to use once you get a nice and full hardscape placed.

LHAquatics

Well Known
Live plants will transform your tank.

OP
betta06

betta06

Well Known
I do feel that having a set of similar stones will make scaping your tank much easier as mentioned in my suggestions above to build up the aquascape from. You can then decide on plants to use once you get a nice and full hardscape placed.
okay! I will still get them then. need to go get more sand anyway lol.

OP
betta06

betta06

Well Known
got a new bag of sand! only rocks in stock are limestone probable not good for the ph? and rainbow rock. does anyone know anything about it?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wraithen
Replies
Views
Tigg

Did You Know...

We have gurus on all sorts of fish keeping subjects. Gurus are members that have shown great knowledge in a particular area. You have to get nominated by your fellow members and moderators have to approve guru nominations. To read more about the guru badges go here:
Guru Badge Info

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom