Help! Will she make it?

missi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, Chewbie has been fine since we moved, and this morning all of a sudden she is extremely sick. She had her nose up to the top of the water, but the rest of her body was just hanging there, and she is covered in a white filmy fuzzy stuff, but I have never seen this before. I took her out of her tank and into a small critter keeper, with a heater/polyguard/stresscoat+/vitachem. What can I do? She was perfectly fine yesterday when we got back from our trip, and her last water change wasn't long ago. I will be testing her params in a bit, but I need to know what this is and if I need to go into town to get something to help her.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My poor little girl! She does not look good at all! She actually looks like she may be suffering from Velvet.....Take a flashlight and shine it on her.....See if the spots are gold.....She is extremely thin.....She needs to be treated right away.......

I'm so sorry......I hope she makes it!

missi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The spots didnt turn gold, just her gils a little, and they don't really have the spots on them. I have her under a med that treats everything, but just got her into it. She isnt that thin, I think it is mostly the picture. She never got to be much bigger than when I first brought her home. She is a petite little lady. She has been eating fine up until when I went to feed her this morning. My mother in law watched everyone while we were in the mountains and I left pre-measured food and everything and she checks them constantly. There is also bubbles in her tank if that makes a difference? I don't know. Ammonia came back normal, 0ppm. But I only have one test tube (thanks cat!) so testing is slow. My poor baby.

Edit: Nitrite is 0ppm also. Waiting on Nitrate now.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are you trating her with?

missi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Polyguard. It is what I have been using with my big tank for broadspectrum stuff and works great, but I would have to go into town to get anything else, and its like a 25 minute drive at least. We don't live in Chandler anymore... lol.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can try mardel copper safe or jungle fungus clear...Without knowing what it is it will be hard to recommend meds....I feel so bad for her......

missi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I do too. Everything was totally normal yesterday, and her params are totally normal too! 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, 5-10ppm Nitrate, ~78 temp. I have some fungus clear actually! Should I put her in a clean Kritter Keeper with that instead? How much of the tablet would you use? They are for 10 gallon each... Or I can put her back in her tank since it checked out... I just want her to be ok.

missi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update:
She is doing a lot better! the white stuff on the top of her head/back is gone, and she is actually moving around now. She will not eat betta food or medicated food, but I got a couple frozen bloodworms in her. I guess for now the polyguard is helping (it has worked in my big tank during my past two epidemics) so I will continue that in her big tank if she is doing well in the morning. I was so scared!

I am actually thinking she may have done her little swim in/out of the filter holes again, because I think now that she is cleared up a little, I see a scar/cut. Any ideas on how to cover it with filter floss? A rubber band? Cable tie? what is safe? It is a 5 gal hex tank.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can use a rubber band to tie filter floss around it or cut a slit in a filter sponge and slide it on like a sleeve.

I hope she feels better soon.

missi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know how to do the sleeve thing over the intake, but she stays away from that now. She swims in and out of the return. I think she does it to get attention. lol. But I didnt see it this time! Can I just use a large skinny piece to do a slit in? Or would a rubber band be better?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry, maybe I got confused. Easy to do for me. lol
Are you tying to cover the in take or out take?

missi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the out-take. where the water comes out of the filter. That is the only place with holes big enough for her to swim through. She is flexible. lol.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would rubber band it if possible. I hope your girl gets better, looks like we are battling the same thing!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good luck, I'm glad she's perked up!! I put a sponge at my outflow area, you could try that.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads