HELP!!! wierd red skin on Oto

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by 0morrokh, Mar 18, 2006.

1. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

In case you don't know, my Otos have had finrot for quite a while. It seemed as if Marble got the worst of it. For a while I have been noticing a pinkish area on Mist, right at the base of the...uuuhhh...maybe one of the anal fins, they're so different in catfish! Anyway, I just assumed that since the finrot was particularly bad on that fin, it was just something caused by the finrot, like maybe it spread to the body a little. But now, I just woke up my fishies and looked in, and it's like the area underneath the gills and by the sucker mouth thingy is totally covered with blood! At least, it's that color. Is this a bacterial infection??

2. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

It could be a bleed internally. Nip had the same marking on him for a while before he unfortunately died. The poor little guys are caught in the wild and like the article in the "otocinclus.com" page stated, "if they make it through the first month they generally make it as long as most fish do for life span." They are caught by putting cyanide into the water to slow them down so they can be caught more EASILY for the CONVENIENCE of the nasty humans going after them. This makes their internal organs very weakened. All you can do is maybe put him in a seperate tank or make sure he gets some tender loving care and use something like Furan-2 maybe or Jungle Fungus Clear Tank Buddies. They both say they treat hemorrhagic symptoms, but I would only dose at half the recommended strength as catfish and plecos are not very good with meds. Otherwise, there really isn't anything to do.

I hope he gets better.

Rose
    :)

3. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Thanks Rose.
    I've already had the Otos for around 2 months, so that's why I'm a little surprised. Unfortunately (naughty, naughty me :mad:) I don't have a hospital tank YET... :-\ :-[ :(
    I am glad to say I already do have that Jungle Fungus Clear. I was using it to help with their finrot. I was planning to add another dose tomorrow anyway since the finrot seems to be returning... :( When I used it before, I used it full strength, and besides not being as energetic towards the end of treatment, the Otos were fine. Do you think I should cut the dose in half this time anyway?
    I read that one article you mentioned, and that made me sooo mad!! But since I've had them for more than a month, I'm thinking that maybe their troubles are caused by my Nitrates being higher than they'd like. :( I'm moving them ASAP to a larger, planted tank, but I just hope they live to see it... :( :-\

4. chickadee

they are very sensitive to additions to water. they are very acutely sensitive to salt. i would cut the dosage as their poor little bodies have been kind of beaten up by chemicals. I read that finrot can sometimes be cured by raising the temperature to around 80 to 82 degrees and leaving it there with bettas. Where is your temperature? it is evidently a cool water disease like ich. EmpPleco says it is helping Mitch with his pinholes in his tailfins by raising the temp so you may want to try it at least. o dear our poor babies! this has been a hard winter for them. let me know how he is doing i am reading to see if there is anything i can come up with.

Rose

ps. i have been giving my guys vitamins and i will swear it is helping them. if you would like to have the brand they are not expensive and i give 1 drop per gallon per day in the water and they have little round white bellies and eat like little pigs. Dopey and Dingbat are growing like little weeds and will soon be 1 1/4" long so I am most satisfied with the results.
    It isn't hurting the bettas either, just making them more foxy. :)

5. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

I am just going to treat the tank, and I think I will cut the dosage a bit. That's good to know about raising the temp. My tank runs at 76-78 degrees F (although I recently had some heater problems, and the temp was all over the place... :p). I'll turn it up a bit. Yes, our poor babies, that about sums it up. :-\ They're such little, harmless little fishies, and all they have to go through...
    The good news is that Marble, who was originally hit with finrot, seems to be recovering and looks great. Also, Mist has gotten a ton of color back--a few weeks ago he looked awful and pale. Unfortunately though Mist has lost a lot of his fins and is so red underneath :( Hopefully this treatment will help him start to recover.
    I have never heard of giving vitamins to fish. Could you give me a little more info on them? At this point I would try almost anything for my little Otos.
    And thanks so much Rose, I'm not sure what I would have done without you :)

6. chickadee

Thank you so much for the kind words.  I just want to try to help you and the little fish.  I know your really care about your fish and have a tender heart.  It makes me feel good to know that some of the little otos have found a "mommy" like you. 

As far as the vitamins go, I think most everyone thought I was daft when I started them, but I was having such a time with keeping otos alive when I first got them I didn't think it would hurt since these said they improved the immune system.  It seems to be working.  The directions say to mix with the food a few times a week, but since they eat wafer food, I put 1 drop per gallon in the water every day and all the fish are getting the good out of them that way.  The Bettas come to the top when I put them in, I think they like them.

Here's the link:

The vitamins come in freshwater and saltwater and the littlest bottle looks like it will last a year or more.

I read the information about the otos that I got when I purchased my last ones (and healthiest) and they said the fins are often lacking or broken on the otos due to the handling.  Could it be that Mist may have started out damaged in the fin area and it has just hit him harder? 

Also just a little aside - are any of yours noticeably larger than the others?  According to my information, the larger ones are supposed to be females.  Now I am not really sure, because there are so many different types, but I may have 3 females and 2 males.  (males in one tank - females in the other just by chance)

Do try the treatment and additional heat like you told me and please keep me informed on how they are doing.  These little fellows deserve all the tender loving care we can give them.  I shall be thinking and hoping for them and you too.

Take care.
    Rose

7. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Hmmm, I just might have to try those vitamins...especially since they said "great for fin regeneration" or something to that effect. Where did you buy yours?

When I read about the fin damage thing the article said most Otos have worn down or rounded fins at the store, versus regular pointed fins, which I saw in both my Otos, but I tried to pick out very healthy-looking ones and neither one had any major fin damage that I saw. It seems to have hit them one at a time, because a few weeks ago Marble was as bad as Mist is now. The reason I'm so much more worried about Mist is because of the bleeding. It might just be me, but it seems as if the reddness has become less intence over the past two days, though.

Marble is quite a bit bigger than Mist, but neither is near full size so maybe Mist is just younger. Once I set up another tank I'm planning on getting some more Otos, and maybe then I'll be able to tell which are boys and girls.

Well, the tank is treated and I'm working on the heater, so I'll keep you posted on what's happening.

8. chickadee

I ordered the vitamins through  .  Just be sure to get the Freshwater, I got the wrong number the first time by accident and had to send them back LOL.  I get most of my pharmacy from them since they are great about giving information out when needed.

Hope Mist is feeling better.  Is the red spot better?  I noticed Dingbat and Dopey had "pink" areas under their "chins" today but after they ate they faded away.  Maybe he isn't getting his share of the food if he is smaller.  I don't know anything, just throwing out suggestions.  Funny how fast they have you loving them isn't it?  They are just so darn cute.

Rose

9. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Well, I don't know if it's getting better, but I don't think it has to do with eating. It looks like red streaks and patches. I actually am not sure if they are getting enough to eat, because my Platys always eat their food. The only thing I can give them now is barely cooked zucchini, which of course isn't always on hand. :-\ Which is one of the reasons I'm getting another tank, soon hopefully, so I can get them away from those greedy fish!

So you ordered your vitamins online...I'm not sure if I can do that. Do they sell the vitamins at stores, do you know?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice