Help! White web-like stuff in my fish tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by New fish lover, Mar 19, 2010.

1. New fish loverNew MemberMember

Hello,

I am new here. I bought a used 29 gal fish tank. Set-up and put some dechlorinator and some bacteria supplement. No fish yet. It gets cloudy after 2 days. Yesterday, the water gets clearer but there are some white web-like thingy floating. I am not sure what it is. Tips/advice are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I have attached a picture.

Attached Files:

2. gef21

gef21Valued MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    N

New fish loverNew MemberMember

I cleaned it with tap water. However, I also put the old decoration (Roman) and new ones.

4. gef21

gef21Valued MemberMember

did you clean the decorations? I am just trying to fact find here. Probably need some more knowledgeable members to chime in on this.

5. OP
    OP
    N

I think I just put the decorations in without washing them very well :( Sorry I'm kinda new with this hobby and just starting to get more information. Should I take the decorations out and start all over again? Also, I haven't test the water yet. I just set it up last Monday. Thanks.

6. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

I would rewash everything just to make sure. So starting over is what I would do.

7. OP
    OP
    N

Ok, I will start all over again. Thanks.
    BTW. Do you know what is that thing called?

8. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

I kind of looks like bacteria.

I am cycling one of my tanks now and I have a small chunk of shrimp in it and it has this big white/clear stuff hanging from it. Looks similar to that.

9. OP
    OP
    N

Should I still start all over again or that is part of the cycling process? It started the day after I added the bacteria supplement.

10. gef21

gef21Valued MemberMember

It is def not part of the cycling process.

11. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

You are correct! It is not a part of the cycling process. But my dead shrimp has this on it. It is some kind of bacteria.

12. OP
    OP
    N

Ok. Thanks for the input :)

13. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

New Fish - I am new like you but since you are just starting I would just take out all the decorations and clean them under the tap water and put them back. If it reappears you may want to wash your gravel out.

14. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Some sort of bacterial bloom is not all that rare in new tanks. You could clean off the source where it seems to be coming from, if it re-appears just leave it, it die off as the food source for it is depleted.

15. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Congrats on the new tank. The most important thing to understand in fishkeeping is the nitrogen cycle. Please read up on it for the sake of your future fish.

In a nutshell though, the nitrogen cycle is basically as follows:
    Fish produce waste which turns into ammonia
    Ammonia is highly toxic to fish (even at very low levels)
    Eventually bacteria forms in your filter media that converts ammonia into nitrites
    Nitrites are very toxic to fish
    Eventually bacteria forms in your filter that converts nitites into nitrates
    Nitrates at low levels (under 20-30ppm) are not toxic.
    Nitrates will build up over time, so regular partial water changes are required to keep them in the safe range.

The only bacterial additive that actually works properly is Tetra SafeStart.

All of the other bacteria suppliments (Cycle, Stabilty, Stress Zyme) contain land based forms of the bacteria that convert the toxins. That bacteria will die off (drown) in a week or so in an aquatic environment. That is why the instructions tell you to add the product weekly for the life of the tank.

But the main reason I bring this up, is that if there is not ammonia source in the tank, the bacteria will starve to death. So since you added the bacteria suppliment to a tank with no fish, it will die off even sooner from starvation rather than drowning.

16. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks jdhef.

I just took all the decorations out and cleaned them thoroughly. I also vacuumed the gravel and suddenly the web-like stuff are now white thin string foating in my tank. I really don't know what are these things called :(

17. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I don't know what it is either. If I had to guess I would say probably some sort of fungus, but that's just a guess.

18. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

I just googled it and found that it may be "Hair Algae". Hope this helps.

19. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks Jaime.

20. xxSTEPHENSxxValued MemberMember

Welcome! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice