Help White Things In My Tank. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sheaclaw, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Sheaclaw

Sheaclaw New Member Member

Image1523496075.592947.jpg Image1523496098.264292.jpg
    Basically it feels like they all appeared over night. I just recently stocked my tank with 6 African cichlids and a Pleco. After feeding them frozen brine shrimp for a few days I started to get these white stringy looking things. They don’t move and basically just stay wherever they are. I’m not sure if this is fish poop or works or the left over brine shrimp I put in there. Really hoping someone could give me peace of mind and hope I don’t have worms on my hands. This is a new tank.

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Could be feces, the other main options would be Planaria, don't want those, or detritus worms, which are ugly but harmless. Planaria have very distinct triangle shaped heads if that helps

3. OP
    OP
    Sheaclaw

Sheaclaw New Member Member

Okay thank you I doubt it’s Planaria. It doesn’t have a triangle shaped head it just looks like someone cut off small bits of a string. Also they don’t move at all they just stay where they are. I’ve heard Plecos poop a lot and I have two so that may be it.

4. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

When my mollies eat red flakes they poop pink poop. Perhaps you could change the food to make the poop match your gravel? ;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  5. Rtessy

If it's not Planaria, then it's likely either feces or detritus worms (they move sooooo slow), both essentially harmless, so you're good. And lol snailwhisperer the funny part is that it's so true. Just get some black food and you're good

6. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I have plenty of detritus worms which showed up after an exciting purchase of blood worms. I completely over did it. Any suggestions for getting rid of the detritus worms? I tried fasting (two days). Turned off light. Vacuumed gravel. Changed water 10%. Thanks

7. Rtessy

Honestly I ended up with a bunch in my goldfish tank, and I recently had to move my goldfish to QT (he's my only fish but it's not practical to do 50% daily WC's in a 60 when you're hauling buckets lol), so the tank hasn't been fed for over a week and there are HUNDREDS. The only thing I've found that even reduces the number is gravel vacuuming a lot. Plus my Goldie ate some... don't know how good that is for him though. Also I found when the lights go off they come out of the gravel and "swim" around more, maybe that can be used somehow? I'm not sure, best advice is find something that eats them and gravel vac a lot

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice