Help! White Stuff Covering Whole Tank Looks Like Snow

Kristin919

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently moved my heater in my betta tank and I saw that it looked corroded, as I moved it the external parts of the heater seemed to crumble away and there were hard rock like forms in the substrate. I decided to take out the substrate and replace it with some leftover river rocks I had sitting in a ziplock bag, I rinsed them all and put them i the tank but decided to take them out to adjust something and put them in this bag, I then just dumped them in from the bag and with doing this a bunch of particle/dustlike things flew out and after I filled the tank it was everywhere they sort of look like spores to me or something. I did a full water change and scrubbed down the whole tank again and put in black sand substrate, I even cleaned out everything in the tank including the filter even the beneficial bacteria sponge. and it keeps coming back and I came home to this, a day ago it was nothing like this there was some on the sand and decorations but not much now it's like 10x as much. does anyone know what this could be? how do I get rid of it? (also to add now my betta has pop eye)
upload_2019-5-10_19-52-36.png
upload_2019-5-10_19-52-53.png

upload_2019-5-10_19-53-13.png

TarielBlu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would suggest taking the betta out completely in case the white stuff us harmful. Then doing another deep clean. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope you figure it out soon

Kristin919

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks, yea I just took all the sand out and she is now in a bare bottom tank after i re cleaned everything, i'm debating whether to set up an old tank of mine and put her in that and then either bleach or put hydrogen peroxide in the tank.

Natasha13

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,
(I'm a newbie, but like science)
This facinated me, after doing some searching on it, my guess would be fungus.
If there is wood in the aquarium this could have been the culprit. If it came from the filter then perhaps it was micro-fungus(in the most teeny-tiny spore) that bloomed when water was added causing a bloom.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi,
(I'm a newbie, but like science)
This facinated me, after doing some searching on it, my guess would be fungus.
If there is wood in the aquarium this could have been the culprit. If it came from the filter then perhaps it was micro-fungus(in the most teeny-tiny spore) that bloomed when water was added causing a bloom.
On that note it is written that columnaris can be seen in some cases on hardscape in aquaria !
Popeye would be a bacterial predecessor to columnaris in my book .
Now how it got in your tank I have no clue if it is ?
If I am right betta does not have long left .

Kristin919

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for the help, I had columaris in my 55 gallon tank a month or two ago and it killed all my fish so I put a whole bottle of hydrogen peroxide on it and eat it under for a few days after that I drained it and took all the stuff out and placed it near the bag of rocks I used for this betta tank, maybe that’s why im not sure

Kristin919

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Help, I bleached the whole tank and bought all new equipment and it appears like whatever this is is coming back??

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Take everything out of the tank, clean it again, then put one thing at a time back in the tank on its own for a few days. If nothing happens, take that one thing out and put something else in. Just do that until you have issues again and you'll know what the source is.
I would also leave the tank with no decorations or anything in it for a few days too, just to be sure it's not an issue with the tank itself

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
what was in the bag you put the rocks in in the first - you said you rinsed them did you scald them or boil them? does anyone else have access to your tank- I ask because once when my kids were little they put a hot dog in a j. dempsy tank and the fat from the hot dog combined with the nitrites and nitrates of the preservatives( I'm shuddering while I type this ) looked alot like this I ended up switching out the tank and using the old one for a hamster cage! Good Luck too you I hope you get it it figured out

Kristin919

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It was just a ziplock back that I throw all my river rocks in, it has been sitting under my 55 gallon tank for over a year untouched, I scrubbed them all clean but then made the mistake of putting them back in the bag and then just dumped the bag in and when I did that particles fell out it sounded like sand or something but I figured it was just like dust or Brocken rock particles but apparently I was wrong and it must’ve been some sort of bacteria/mold/fungus. The bleached tank has been running for about a week now and it was alright the first few days but now it looks like the white particles are floating around again and starting to clump on the substrate. The tank that my betta is in currently is a quarantine tank but now that tank has it, my betta had a piece or two of this substance on her when I transferred her I thought it was pop eye but now I think it wasn’t just the fungus stuff latched onto her. It has mostly fell off of her body but there’s still a tiny piece left. I’m just really frustrated because I bought all new equipment and bleached everything so I’m confused as to how this is coming back? Or what it even is, but I’ll have to try the process of elimination I suppose

Kristin919

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And no no one has access to my tank, the only difference I did was put those river rocks in and ever since I’ve had this weird substance in the tank that multiplies

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom