Help - White stringy threads on leaves

MangoPineapple

Help! I’ve very recently re-scaped my whole tank and it’s been a day and now the water is very cloudy and there are white strings on the leaves and the sand. What are they and are they harmful to fish? How do I get rid of them? In case it helps I just put in a bubbler, soil (baked and sifted), old gravel (washed of algae in old tank water), and fine aquarium gravel on top. I got a full water change because the old water was super filthy and gross. My fish (three male guppies), snail (ivory mystery) and shrimp (one ghost shrimp) are all living in a temporary tank right now but I want to get the guppies in as soon as possible. I am also planning on taking out the old sponge and I am replacing it with cuprisorb filter media to remove any trace amounts of copper. I have a dual layer filter, it has an activated carbon filter and a sponge which I am removing. Please help me!

Attachments

• FD5DEC0C-6E0B-4C6C-8F04-FAF775AD1F9B.jpeg
    FD5DEC0C-6E0B-4C6C-8F04-FAF775AD1F9B.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DFFFF5D8-A00D-4FBC-AA1B-B3212F0D6E4F.jpeg
    DFFFF5D8-A00D-4FBC-AA1B-B3212F0D6E4F.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 740B1E08-18D4-498B-8B25-CD7C8CB66B0D.jpeg
    740B1E08-18D4-498B-8B25-CD7C8CB66B0D.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 23

Bwood22

I willing to bet money that when you rescaped your tank you removed something that had a hollow inside or you had a very low flow area up underneath something. It could have been a fake rock or a statue or a spongebob house. But whatever it was....that bio film grew inside it and flew out into the water when you moved or removed whatever it was.

Just pull it out. If it floats up into the water fish it out with a net. Its nothing to worry about.

MangoPineapple

I willing to bet money that when you rescaped your tank you removed something that had a hollow inside or you had a very low flow area up underneath something. It could have been a fake rock or a statue or a spongebob house. But whatever it was....that bio film grew inside it and flew out into the water when you moved or removed whatever it was.

Just pull it out. If it floats up into the water fish it out with a net. Its nothing to worry about.
Ok thank you so much, and you are right, I had a fake hollow rock in there. I’ve been doing some water changes every day, increased my filter flow to max and have been running my bubbler the past few days. It seems to be working to remove it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
Replies
Views