Help: White Band On Rcs

toFeedornottoFeed

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys, I have recently introduced some RCS to my established tank and they have been doing well for the first few days. But today I see white band on the body of some of the shrimps (pictures below).

Can anybody tell me what is going wrong?

The water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5
Ph: 7.5
Gh: 4-5
Kh: 5
TDS: 340
Temperature: 76-77F

Thanks !
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A sign of a bad molt. Unfortunately, most shrimp that get the band die. If this persists, I would increase the GH to at least 6.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree entirely, do you happen to know your gH, kH and TDS? Also, the only ones I've personally seen with that band were dead, so I guess you have some tough little shrimp
Edit: also to increase gH etc, naturally, you can add anything from eggshells (boiled with the membrane peeled off) to seashells and cuttlebone (for birds). It'll take about a week for the gH and everything to begin to rise, but it's a pretty stable and gentle process.

toFeedornottoFeed

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
-Mak- said:
A sign of a bad molt. Unfortunately, most shrimp that get the band die. If this persists, I would increase the GH to at least 6.
I think I got lucky that two shrimps actually finished molting. Haven't seen the 3rd one though.

I probably need to use RO or distilled water to lower the TDS so I can increase the GH.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Lowering the TDS also lowers the gH, so that wouldn't help. Do you have very hard water? If that's the case, then it could the that the shells are too hard to molt off, but that's rather rare for cherries. It's much more likely that there aren't enough minerals for them to form a new shell, so RO would only hurt.
Do you know the TDS of your water?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom