Help! What's wrong with my guppy

1. Susanmarie Initiate Member

I'm urgently trying to find out what's going on with one of my guppies. I have had the fish (5 males) for a month. Yesterday I noticed a large bulge underneath one of my guppies and initially thought he must be a she and got pregnant. The guppy is pale in colour compared to the others and has a permanent red dot halfway down the body, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. But now I'm wondering if it is still a male and he is unwell. I've been trying to look for indicators but I'm having trouble. The guppy is currently separated in a floating breeding box. I suffer from anxiety so I struggle to deal with things like this easily so that's why I've come here for advice.

Attached Files:

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

That guppy is a male still. The budge maybe bloat. What's your readings? Have you cycled your tank? And has that guppy been struggling to get to the top?

3. Susanmarie Initiate Member

I've been doing everything I need to in the tank but the ammonia and nitrate levels are high and no one can work out why, I've just bought some live plants to try to lower it. The fish has been seemingly fine in itself, swimming around the top and bottom fine and eating normally. It is now in a separate breeding box just in case.

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

How long has the tank been running for?

5. Susanmarie Initiate Member

About 6 weeks

6. Shiloh Keller Initiate Member

do you know the actual numbers? also what size tank? live plants are always good! i hope we can figure out whats wrong. :^)