Help ! What’s Wrong With My Fish ?

AshRicard87

B3CC6FE6-AFC5-4F58-BC54-12295D6B2339.jpeg
5B74F052-C57D-46C9-A066-DC5F061FEF45.jpeg Can anyone help me out ... I’m thinking this guy has velvet maybe ? But I’m not sure. He’s been at the bottom of the tank .. the sitting in the top corner looking like he is gasping for air and he didn’t eat yesterday.

Wystearya
I can't tell by your pictures, but I will ask some questions that will help us figure out the problem:

How big is the tank (in gallons)?
Is it heated?
Filtered? (Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?)
Do you use a dechlorinator for the water? (Which one?)

What food do you feed and how much per day?

Is he the only fish in the tank?

Sorry for all the questions, but knowing these things will help!

Gypsy13
View attachment 421964 View attachment 421965 Can anyone help me out ... I’m thinking this guy has velvet maybe ? But I’m not sure. He’s been at the bottom of the tank .. the sitting in the top corner looking like he is gasping for air and he didn’t eat yesterday.

Poor thing! I haven’t a clue. (I’m blind) but maybe we can get some help for you! Anyone?

Kyleena696
You're asking about that stringy thing dangling from him, right?

Gypsy13
Did you answer the questions for Wystearya? She needs that info so she can help.

AshRicard87
I can't tell by your pictures, but I will ask some questions that will help us figure out the problem:

How big is the tank (in gallons)?
Is it heated?
Filtered? (Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?)
Do you use a dechlorinator for the water? (Which one?)

What food do you feed and how much per day?

Is he the only fish in the tank?

Sorry for all the questions, but knowing these things will help!

The tank is not heated or filtered, 0.75 gallons, I feed him pellets and blood worms as a treat, yes I use a dechlorinator and he is the only fish.

You're asking about that stringy thing dangling from him, right?

No, my boyfriend took the picture, I’m assuming that’s fish poop

He has like a yellowish dust around his gills and front fins

Did you answer the questions for Wystearya? She needs that info so she can help.
Answered

Kyleena696
No, my boyfriend took the picture, I’m assuming that’s fish poop

He has like a yellowish dust around his gills and front fins
I can't see the dust in the picture, but it sounds like velvet. Also, he shouldn't have poop hanging from him (I've never seen my betta poop) and it looks way to yellow to be normal healthy poop.

He needs a much larger tank (preferably 5 gallons minimum) and a filter is a necessity, as well as a heater.

Gypsy13
I can't see the dust in the picture, but it sounds like velvet. Also, he shouldn't have poop hanging from him (I've never seen my betta poop) and it looks way to yellow to be normal healthy poop.

He needs a much larger tank (preferably 5 gallons minimum) and a filter is a necessity, as well as a heater.

If it is velvet is she using the right treatment? How long should it take?

Kyleena696

Sorry, I don't know anything about velvet except what to watch for to identify it. So far I haven't had any issues with my fish where I've had to treat them *knocksonwood*

AshRicard87
I haven’t used any treatment .. I was just googling and that was the closest that matched the symptoms

SpasmaticAA
Heater in filter are necessary but a 3 gallon should do fine. Gave my sis a 3 gallon I had from keeping young goldfish and he is doing just fine in it after well over a year. However 5's might be cheaper. But definitely get a heater and a filter and a bigger tank. Try living in a 5' by 5' room and see how you would like it just for a comparison.

Also I ment that the betta she has is fine. The goldfish are in a 10 now and are being moved to 90 soon

AshRicard87
Heater in filter are necessary but a 3 gallon should do fine. Gave my sis a 3 gallon I had from keeping young goldfish and he is doing just fine in it after well over a year. However 5's might be cheaper. But definitely get a heater and a filter and a bigger tank. Try living in a 5' by 5' room and see how you would like it just for a comparison.

Okay .. I must be old school on the fish rules lol
I had Bettas in tiny bowls growing up and the one I have now is much bigger.

Kyleena696

I once had a bedroom that literally fit a single bed and tv butted right up against the foot of the bed, no room to walk in it you just got on the bed. It was like 3 feet by 9 feet, so I can say from experience it's horrible.

Gypsy13
Will that fix the velvet?

Kyleena696
Okay .. I must be old school on the fish rules lol
I had Bettas in tiny bowls growing up and the one I have now is much bigger.

Don't feel bad about it. When I was 10 I kept a betta in a 3 gallon with no filter or heater. He died because he flopped on the floor during a water change and I was too scared to pick him up. I still feel so horrible about my first fish keeping experience

Will that fix the velvet?

Probably not, but it will improve his overall quality of life.

Gypsy13
Probably not, but it will improve his overall quality of life.

True. I had mine in 10 gallon with an Apple snail. They are beautiful fish! I hope this one will be ok.

Talk about old school, when I started with aquariums, we didn’t have water conditioners, fancy test kits, directions. It was buy aquarium, fish, decor go home set up, done. Never had sick fish. Had fish killing other fish. But never had problems. Now our water quality is so poor, I’d never use it without treatment. I drink it but my darlings aren’t going to live in it. Best wishes for your baby.

SpasmaticAA
No I haven't heard of it till now. But it might help and reduce stress and make the recovery process easier once the tank is properly set up and cycled

AshRicard87
I went to my local PetValu and bought some Betta salt and Bettafix and will see if I can help my little guy out

Wystearya
It's ok, many of us were 'old school' at one time.

But yes, a larger tank and heater and filter will help. Better water quality = healthier fish!

WanhiBetta
Salt can be very dangerous for bettas. They do not tolerate it.

As for bettafix, it is useless generally and can harm their labyrinth organ.

In my opinion, you should prioritize buying a heater and a filter. As for the medication, paraguard would help.

When I got my first betta, I put it in a 0.7 with no heater filter just like you. He became very lethargic... I bought a 3.3g with heater and filter, and now it's the most active fish I've ever seen.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
grracemarrie
Top Bottom