Help! What should I do with my?!! 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jay-Rad, Mar 18, 2010.

1. J

Jay-Rad New Member Member

So i just recently bought some fish and a 10 gallon tank and filter and stuff, bought all this stuff on Saturday. And everything was fine at first, but now, no matter how many times I change the water, the water gets murky by the end of the day. So I was looking on-line this morning for answers as to why this was happening, and I found out about the Nitrogen Cycle. So anyways, I told my friend what happened, and she said that I should use this stuff called Tetra SafeStart. She said that it completely cycled her tank in like 2 or 3 days. So I plan on buying this stuff. The thing is though, that the fishstore won't take my fish back while I wait for the cycle to do its thing. So I also plan on buying 2 fishbowls. I'm going to put my fish in these 2 fishbowls while the cycle happens, and I was wondering if they would be okay in those fishbowls for these next 2 or 3 days. All I have are a couple Fancy Guppies, 2 African Dwarf Frogs, 1 Orange Glofish, 1 Sunburst, and 2 Loaches. My point is that they are all very tiny, and I think they would be fine to be in those for the next two or three days. Do you think it'll be okay?

Thanks

2. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

You use TSS with the fish in the tank. The bacteria in the TSS eats the amonia in the water.

3. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

The fish won't be any better off in the little fishbowls then they would be in the 10 G, unless you are doing major water changes in those. A fishbowl without a filter can't be cycled... so the ammonia will just build--and faster then it would in the 10.

If you have access to the TSS then as gef21 said; you can use it with the fish in the tank. I haven't used it but I wouldn't expect it to work in 2 days. Based on what others have said it'll be at least a week.

4. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

took a week for my 10 gallon tank to cycle with TSS.

5. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

WELCOME to fishlore!!
    great advice from others I just wanted to welcome you :)

7. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Oh Jay-Rad!!! Welcome to the Nitrogane-nightmare (as I call it) if you don't do it "the right way" from the begining....Follow these people advise..You will save yourself a lot of :;fru
    Good luck!!!

8. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Hope the fish make it through the cycle okay. And remember, fishkeeping has an enormous learning curve.

What kind of loaches did you get? I have 3 yoyo's and love them to death! Depending on what type you have, a 10g tank might be too small for them.

Welcome to the forum! :;hi2

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jay and Welcome to Fish Lore.:sign0016:
    Ken

10. haedra

haedra Well Known Member Member

Just to add on to what was already mentioned:

If you are going to go the route of Safe Start, do as many water changes as needed to bring your ammonia level as close to 0 as you can muster, before you add the TSS. Some have had issues with this product when adding to a tank after the fish have already produced ammonia. :)

11. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

Welcome to fish lore! Looks like you have been taken care of already. Good luck and keep posting updates!

12. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I agree, adding your fish in the uncycled tank is better then leaving them in fishbowls. And could you tell us what type of loaches they are? Some botias are ridiculously aggressive to their own species, and all loaches except the kuhli loach are too large for a 10 gallon aquarium.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice