HELP! What on earth is in my danio tank?!

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just spotted these two things on the walls of my danio tank. Managed to get a couple pics before they moved but these things are tiny. What the are they?! Some kind of parasite? ;(
I always thoroughly wash my hands after going near my tanks but I'm now a bit paranoid about getting sick from some parasite in one of the tanks. Can they get in your skin? Is washing hands in hot water and anti bac soap enough? Yuk!!! And poor danios help please!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439250496.262177.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439250509.456980.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439250523.415637.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439250536.450722.jpg

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No way?! Would they stick to the side of the tank like that then? Just danios, live plants, an ornamental bridge and gravel. Oh and a few snail hitchhikers. How do you sex danios or know if they've laid eggs or anything? I'm amazed if this is what they are! And relieved!

Oh my goodness I just googled danio fry and that is exactly what they are isn't it! Haha! I'm so happy and thoroughly surprised! How lovely! I'm due to give birth any time myself so this is just brilliant couldn't sleep because my baby is keeping me up and keeping me anxiously awaiting her arrival so I get out of bed to stare at my fish (as I do, a lot) and I'm horrified to see what I think are parasites, only to find out I have babies

What do I do now? What do I do?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Do you have another tank that is cycled to put them in? I'm not sure how much danios take care of their young but I'm assuming they eat them so... You'll need to catch as many as you can if you want to ensure their survival.

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just moved the adult danios as there's no way I would have been able to get the fry out. They're teeny weeny and hiding in the gravel and plants. I'm hoping even more now that my 110l hurries up cycling so I can put my fish in there and have two tanks spare for fry/quarantine etc! Phew this is becoming more complicated every day lol! Can't believe I have danio fry before platy fry, if any platy fry at all!

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any ideas this other unknown thing in my danio tank?!

Wow this is crazy. I have seen something else in my danio tank now! The other thing turned out to be danio fry
Any ideas on this one..?!
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439258598.518113.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439258613.016365.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439258632.312787.jpg

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cute!

If you could catch them, you could use one of those mesh net fry breeder things like this:

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Haha thank you! Just seen something else in the tank!! What is this?!
This little tank has a lot of life in it!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439258701.812799.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439258714.308741.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439258730.012227.jpg

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you sure they're Danio fry? Danio fry head for the surface as soon as they're free-swimming, and stay there...

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lol no I don't even have shrimp. No idea what it is. It looks quite big to be a parasite? It looks like a little white praying mantis or grasshopper type thing..

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What other fry could they be? I have no idea to be honest. They seem to be mainly around the bottom but alive and I've seen a couple swim briefly. Perhaps they're just entering that stage? It's half 3 in the morning where I am, could it be their bed time? lol. I'm totally clueless when it comes to fry and weird and wonderful things I didn't buy at the pet shop I'm afraid ...
I just disturbed the tank a lot getting the adult danios out too..?

plecodragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The thing on the rocks looks to be a hydra, a pest that can catch and kill fry. So watch out for them, if that is what it is.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they could be just finishing off their yolk sacs. When that's absorbed they'll be at the surface. Danios breed first thing in the morning, especially if it's sunny.

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, googling, closest thing I've seen to it is some sort of mayfly larvae.. Could that be a problem for the tank, or me?
Just tiny danio fry in there now..

platymum2801

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's the timeline for danios between breeding and hatching? I LOVE my tanks! This is great. As far as the other thing I saw, the closest thing I found to it on google was some sort of mayfly?

Any suggestions on a good filter to get for a 17l fry tank? I don't want them to get sucked up so I took out the one that was in there for now? Will that be ok for a day or two if I do little water changes til I get a more suitable one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom