Help....What kind of fish is this?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by ski149, Dec 22, 2012.

1. ski149New MemberMember

I brought three fish randomly selected at a pet store a few months ago. I know two are tetras but this one I thought was a goldfish but I'm second guessing myself since this fish have had at least 4 batches of fry since I brought it home. The first few months she kept getting bigger and bigger as if she was holding the eggs in her and then one day she finally released them but most of them got eaten before I could save them. Next few days she had a ton of them I was able to save all of them this time. And then at least a month later her stomach gets just a little big this time not like before and she has at least two more but smaller batches. I was never around to actually see her give birth so I dont know if she's laying eggs or having live breed it seems to me live breed I'm not sure but hopefully someone can help me name this fish. I'm going to have to get a bigger tank because I wasn't expecting this being a beginner.

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to FishLore!

That's a Molly :giggle:

3. OP
    OP
    s

ski149New MemberMember

ahhh, all makes sense now, thank you!!:clapping: I absolutely need a bigger tank now that I know she's a Molly, the babies going to keep coming.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

You would need an even larger tank should it have been a Goldfish :;th

This is my almost 2 year old female Common Goldfish (the 13 cent deals), Feebas. This pic is a bit old, as she now around 9 inches.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, goldfish get quite large. While Mollies can reach 7in depending on the exact species, most stay closer to 3-4. Yours looks like mine, a Creamsicle Lyretail variety. :)

6. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

that is a very beautiful looking molly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice