Help! What Is Wrong With My Shrimp!

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My last cherry shrimp has stopped moving. It is sitting on a marimo moss ball, with not even it’s whisker things moving. It has a thick dark bar on its back and it’s whole body is darker then usual. Before the dark bar there is also a small white bar, but the dark bar is much thicker. When they die they turn lighter, but it turned darker. Is this a molting problem or something else? Please help!!!

PS: sorry for the bad quality. It is hard to get a good angle.

Last edited:

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hate to say it but I think it’s no longer part of this world. Poke it and see if it moved. The white band is a sign of a failed molt. Richie will be able to help you, but he will need your water parameters. PH, GH and KH for sure. TDS if you have a meter.
Sorry for the loss it does happen from time to time.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Definitely looks like a molting ring of death unfortunately. the only think you can do is get all water parameters including GH and KH to see if the tank is suitable for shrimp. It could bounce back and and it may not bounce back unfortunately.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry jaguar but @tjander & @kallililly1973 are correct now we need to know why this as happened
First water perameters?, then how long have they been in there if only recently how did you acclimatise them, start there

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got the shrimp 3 weeks ago. It has been doing fine until now, always happily grazing everywhere. Here are my parameters:

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

Last edited:

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thats a seperate kit you should invest in for shrimp specifically. i think its only 7-10$ on amazon and can help determine more about your water parameters as shrimp sometimes can be a little more fragile than say community or tropical fish in general...

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gh is so important with shrimp and without it we'd be working blind, this is probably the first moult this shrimp as had and come up against problems
Edit it is also possible its age related

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is that kit called?

When I was watching videos of shrimp molting it showed the white ring before they wriggled out. Is that rare for them to survive with the white ring? Also, is my shrimp for sure dead? Should I net him out?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All shrimp will split in that same place the front section comes off first then the tail it only takes a few seconds. In your case the shell is to hard to come off with the results the white ring is the weakest point and what you are seeing is the body inside the shell trying to push it off but he can't with the results the old shell crushes him, had the old shell been soft enough the process would have worked

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Before you play with anything you must have test results, the GH can be risen with minerals or dropped with RO water but at the moment its important not to play with anything until you have test results, how bigs your tank and what water changes have you been doing

Last edited:

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 10 gallon tank. So I had 3 shrimp to begin with, but 2 weeks into having them, one randomly disappeared. The second died about 5 days ago, the night before it was fine but when I woke up it was gone, and then this one today. I wonder now if the was all from the gh.
I want my tank to be good for new shrimp, so after I test the gh(assuming it’s too hard) how would I go about lowering it?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lowering it would be done with RO water or cheap bottle water but I'm guessing ether the gh is low or you didn't acclimatise them right, this is more in keeping with the other shrimp deaths .
You need the test kit @kallililly1973 as recommend to proceed
How much water are you changing?

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can order the kit now but I don’t know when it will be here by

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
30% is to much that could be your problem or part of it, you only need to do 15% which works out at 6ltrs. Large water changes can shock your shrimp which leads to failed moults

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh. Good to know. I will keep that in mind. When I get the kit I will let you know if mine was to high or to low.

Jaguar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is there anyway that I could keep it permanently low other than with water I have to buy? Cause then I would have to buy water every week, wouldn’t I?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom