Help!! what is wrong with my goldfish??

1. m

m3thoodman New Member Member

i recently bought 4 goldfish and one of them has some kind of injury on the right left side and after 3 days white cotton like stuff is building up in it.. and same thing is happening to its mouth as well.

Here are some pics:
    IMG_0295.jpg IMG_0296.jpg IMG_0297.jpg

2. crawfishcrazy27

crawfishcrazy27 Well Known Member Member

It may have an infection on a cut, but I am not an expert on fish disease.

Good luck to ya and your fish!

CrawfishCrazy27✌️

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I'm sorry to see your fish is having problems. The fast, easy answer is to tell you that it seems to me that he has a fungus.

The long answer is why he has a fungus. You say in your Aquarium Info that you are not aware of the nitrogen cycle (words will be link to article). Please take the time to read up on it, since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

My guess is that the fish has a fungus due to elevated ammonia and/or nitrite levels. (You'll understand what that is all about when your read up on the nitrogen cycle). So you really need to start doing some partial water changes to get the ammonia/nitrite levels down. If you could use a water conditioner made by SeaChem called Prime, that would help alot since Prime will detox lowish levels of ammonia/nitrite.

Also, I do not know what size tank you have, but the photo looks like you have a common goldifshas opposed to a fancy goldfish (i.e. fantail). Common goldfish really need to be in a pond due to the fact that they can get well over one foot long and are huge waste producers. (Waste production will make more sense once you read up on the nitrogen cycle.)

but if I'm mistaken and you do have a fany goldfish, it would require t least 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for each additional. fancy goldfish.

After reading up on the nitrogen cycle, you may have a bunch more questions. Feel free to ask away. This forum is filled with friendly people who want to see you succeed.

Best of luck!

4. OP
    OP
    m

Oh, thank you for telling me whats wrong with it. my tank size is 20g and it is a fancy goldfish so is there a way to treat the fungus?
    In the tank i got 5 goldfish because the seller from the pet shop said that it was okay to have them all in the 20g tank and i also ordered an extra filter for the tank so it be okay to have them?

P.s i am still reading the nitrogen cycle

5. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately not. You're going to need to upgrade that tank to a 60 or 70 gallon, or return 4 of the goldfish.

Saprolegnia looks like fungus but is actually not a true fungus. It needs dead or damaged tissue to grow on, which is what makes it different from Columnaris.

I'm suggesting 20 to 30 minute baths in Methylene Blue mixed with Seachem ParaGuard and API Furan 2 (not to be confused with regular Furan as they're different medications). Do these baths daily until visual symptoms are gone.

This stuff can be contagious, so you will need to give all of the fish baths. Do not add Methylene Blue to the tank. It will kill the Nitrogen Cycle, plus it stains terribly. I use a 1 quart plastic container for MB baths and dips. Once the MB goes into the water, you can't see through it so even in a large bucket it makes it very difficult to scoop the fish back out because you can't see where they are.

6. OP
    OP
    m

um i just came back from work and checked my gold fish and now its infected part of the lip has torn off!! will the advice you gave me about the treatment heal it or is it too late and since i am busy working i can only purchase the medicine online and it will take at least 2 day for them to arrive..

7. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

It's difficult to say honestly because it sounds like things have progressed past the point of being able to do anything. How much of the bottom lip is missing? If there's too much missing then the fish may not be able to eat properly.

8. OP
    OP
    m

well its the top right side of its lips, here is a pic
    IMG_0299.jpg

9. aHumanBeing

aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

In all honesty I would follow mamajins original instructions. She has guided me in most of my fish troubles and has always steered me in the correct direction. The one thing I would like to add is that if you don't act quickly then positive results diminish rapidly. It is usually best to take action quickly rather then to wait, when it comes to fish.