Help Help!!! What Is Wrong With My Fish???

catherineelizabeth

Reaction score
My fish has been having these scratches for a few days now. He still has an appetite and eats every day normally, and he is an active swimmer still. He has no problem breathing and isn't staying at the top or at the bottom of the tank. Did he hurt himself or are they a symptom of a disease and if so, how can I cure it?
thumbnail_image3.jpg

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like an injury to me but hard to tell for sure as the pic is a little blurry. Anything sharp in the tank he could have cut himself on?

catherineelizabeth

Reaction score
It looks like an injury to me but hard to tell for sure as the pic is a little blurry. Anything sharp in the tank he could have cut himself on?
I suspect that maybe the log in our tank is probably hurting him. Since the log is old, it is starting to fall apart and leaves sharp edges that I have covered up previously when I wash the tank. The log is where he goes to rest as well so I think as he swims by it, he probably scratches himself on some sharp edge.

Will the injuries go away eventually if I remove the log or will I have to treat him?

The water parameters are ideal I just checked them yesterday. I think it's an injury.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Definitely remove the log if you are suspecting it.

I think you could probably just add a little aquarium salt to help speed the healing. Just watch out for infection and treat that if it shows up.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water changes will help. Change 50% of the water every other day and he will heal quickly if it’s a scrap. If it doesn’t look like it’s healing in a few days move to a qt tank and treat with salt for a few days. Being new a 5gal will work. Take the water from the main tank add a heater (if needed) and a small filter with some media from main tank.

catherineelizabeth

Reaction score
Definitely remove the log if you are suspecting it.

I think you could probably just add a little aquarium salt to help speed the healing. Just watch out for infection and treat that if it shows up.
I removed the log as soon as I got home. I'll keep an eye on his recovery. Today he ate fine. However, I don't have any aquarium salt on hand at the moment. Will this affect the fish if left untreated?

Water changes will help. Change 50% of the water every other day and he will heal quickly if it’s a scrap. If it doesn’t look like it’s healing in a few days move to a qt tank and treat with salt for a few days. Being new a 5gal will work. Take the water from the main tank add a heater (if needed) and a small filter with some media from main tank.
I'll do a water change as soon as possible. Don't have aquarium salt, but can stress coat be a good alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The stress coat can help with slime coat. I would still use a little salt. Maybe 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. You can also use sea salt instead if you have it. Just don’t use iodized salt or anything with additives.

Also remember that salt does not evaporate so don’t add any more when topping off the aquarium for loss of water due to evaporation. Only replace the salt with new water during a water change.

catherineelizabeth

Reaction score
The stress coat can help with slime coat. I would still use a little salt. Maybe 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. You can also use sea salt instead if you have it. Just don’t use iodized salt or anything with additives.

Also, remember that salt does not evaporate so don’t add any more when topping off the aquarium for loss of water due to evaporation. Only replace the salt with new water during a water change.
Today he was eating good and he still seems to be fine. I'll use sea salt then since I have that! I appreciate your help! I'll try to keep you updated. :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It says for injured or hurt fish so it’s good. How’s the fish looking today?

catherineelizabeth

Reaction score
It says for injured or hurt fish so it’s good. How’s the fish looking today?
It looks like his wound is getting bigger... I'm going to put sea salt in today since it's Friday and tomorrow I will do a 50% water change with slime coat. How does that sound? Do you think him swimming is affecting his wound?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No his swimming shouldn’t be affecting it. I would move into qt and add salt. 1 teaspoon per gal.Watch the wound and change water daily adding salt to the water going in. If that doesn’t show signs of healing in a few days. Change the water to remove the salt and try the meds.

catherineelizabeth

Reaction score
I concur.
emoji1318.png
Hey all, so here is my fish. As you can see his wound does seem bigger. He is still eating and is active. I went to PetCo today to ask advice from the people who work in the fish department. They said that Melafix works better for this type of situation.
I bought Melafix instead of the salt then. The treatment says it targets wounds like these and I should be using it for a week or so.
I'm confused as to why his wound keeps getting bigger even though I removed the log because I suspected that that would be the cause of his injury. I only have two fish and they don't bully each other. My brother suggested that he might be scratching himself because the wound could be irritating him...
thumbnail_image1.png

catherineelizabeth

Reaction score
Hey all, so here is my fish. As you can see his wound does seem bigger. He is still eating and is active. I went to PetCo today to ask advice from the people who work in the fish department. They said that Melafix works better for this type of situation.
I bought Melafix instead of the salt then. The treatment says it targets wounds like these and I should be using it for a week or so.
I'm confused as to why his wound keeps getting bigger even though I removed the log because I suspected that that would be the cause of his injury. I only have two fish and they don't bully each other. My brother suggested that he might be scratching himself because the wound could be irritating him...View attachment 584497
Just put in the first dose of Melafix. I'm hoping for the best.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom