Help. What Is Wrong With My Betta Question

1. Mehul

Mehul New Member Member

Hello all,

I have recently joined. I recently moved my betta, Mr. Doodles to a new home so I have to recycle his tank. When I first reintroduced him the water was I cycled and with in 2 days he almost lost his entire dorsal fin. So I added stability to cycle the tank. And he has statred the healing process very rapidly. But I am worried... when he lost his dorsal down to the boat some of the body became white. He lost color. I don’t k ow what it is and it is not getting better but his fins are. Can anyone tell me what it is.

Attached Files:

2. phenris

phenris Valued Member Member

The discoloration on his body is probably a stress point from losing the fin. It can take longer for the body to heal than the fins, but it's a good sign he's healing. A bit of aquarium salt (this works better than any over the counter medications like Melafix), Seachem prime, and frequent water changes should finish off that healing process. Good luck!

3. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

I would do daily 25-50% water changes.
    Do you know what cause his dorsal fin to get like that? Strong filter or something?

4. OP
    OP
    Mehul

Mehul New Member Member

It was a move. I had to move and therefore had to replace all of the water in the tank. So it was uncycled

5. phenris

Understandable. How’s he doing now? Any better?

6. OP
    OP
    Mehul

Mehul New Member Member

He is doing a little better. Turns out he had a fuzz that started growing. So I started kannaplex but that didn’t help much. When I went to my lfs they recommended mal. Green. I did that for a couple days and he fuzz is gone but he isn’t eating much now... he just sits under it and looks at it. Picks at it but doesn’t eat much

This is him today

Attached Files:

7. phenris

Hmm. The fin rot still looks pretty bad which lethargy and lack of appetite are also symptoms of that so I would treat for it as long as the fungus is gone. I’d recommend aquarium salt treatments. Do you have a 1-2 gal quarantine tank on hand?

8. OP
    OP
    Mehul

Mehul New Member Member

He is the sole resident beside a couple snails in a 3.5 so I have been treating the entire tank and taking the snails out as needed.

This morning he seems to be doing a little better in activity. And he’s eating like a starving child. Lol. I have read different things about salt. The box says 1/2 tsp per gallon but online people are saying 1TBL per gallon. What is right??