Help! What is this? Algae, Bacteria, something else?

an780

I was overseas on vacation for about 19 days. Did a large water change before leaving. Assumed nothing might happen in under 3 weeks. When I came back, this what I found.
1. There was Cyanobacteria coating all over.
2. In addition to that, what was more confusing was this white layer coating the substrate. All over the floor of the aquarium. I see they seems to be spreading onto the glass too. They are also present in areas with low light.

The fish seems to be ok. There is reduced activity. They are not going near this white substance much looks like.

I will be doing a large water chance today, hoping to get this under control.

Any ideas what this could be, and how to handle?

Attachments

• 6F3943B8-22B8-4A48-9EB9-6BFF95063997.jpeg
    6F3943B8-22B8-4A48-9EB9-6BFF95063997.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 16

TClare

I am not sure, but it looks like some kind of fungus? Did you have people feeding the fish while you were away? Maybe they fed too much? As the fish seem OK I would just do some frequent water changes trying to syphon up that stuff as much as possible, also the cyanobacteria, remove as much as possible, change water and repeat.

an780

I am not sure, but it looks like some kind of fungus? Did you have people feeding the fish while you were away? Maybe they fed too much? As the fish seem OK I would just do some frequent water changes trying to syphon up that stuff as much as possible, also the cyanobacteria, remove as much as possible, change water and repeat.
Thank you very much for the response. I will try and siphon this up like you said.

Yes, there was a person feeding the fish, and possibly overfed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Lorraine Seedee
  • Algae
Replies
Views
el337
Replies
Views
StarGirl