HELP. What is the best way to do this??

1. TKDennison Member Member

For unknown reasons the ph in my sisters tank is 8.6. I'm going to have to use different water. I have said water, but I need to know the best way to change the water, thus lowering the ph.

Do I change a few gallons a day over time? Do I put the fish in a bucket and drip acclimate ?

It's a new 29g tank with mature media from my 75g. Sand and plants are the only thing in it.

I didn't know the ph was this high until yesterday when she bought a DG to add. I hope he made it through the night. I acclimated him as slow as humanly possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

You should figure out why the PH is so high, before attempting to lower the PH. If the reason is the source, than I would not recommend lower the PH at all, but acclimating the fish to it. You will need to avoid sensitive fish that prefer slightly acidic conditions, but other than that you will be fine.

If she added a crushed coral to increase the PH, than you need to remove it as completely as possible. If you don't your going to be creating swings in the PH by trying to lower it.

If it is a chemical adjustment, then you can do small water changes daily to lower the PH. You can scale up the size of the water changes over time, 10%, 15%, 20%, 30%... As the PH gets closer to the source PH, you increase the size of the water change to keep the rate of change similar.

I don't recommend changing the PH from the source, unless you absolutely have to.

3. TKDennison Member Member

The source if I bypass her water softener is 7.5 after the softener, and it ages..it's 8.6 so there's something wrong with their softener.

Nothing was added to the tank, I set it up.

Just needed to know best way of changing the water out without shocking the fish. Thanks!

4. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Doing the water changes works better than doing drip acclimation because the size of the change.

5. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Nah, not necessarily something wrong with the softener. Softeners aren't RO filters. What is the water source? Is it well water? It sounds very similar to my parents' water, which is well water. Out of tap through a softener it's somewhere around 7.8, but there is so much CO2 in it that you can literally hear it fizzing when you let it sit in a container. It ages up to 8.8. Softeners don't take out things that add to KH, only GH. My parents' water is 22 drops KH (ABSURD, in other words) and 0 drops GH. Do you have a KH test at all? If it's really high, you might find you have a hard time changing the pH at all.

6. TKDennison Member Member

I do have a kh test. When I filled it I used 20 gallons RO and 10 softened tap. The KH reading on their water is astronomically high. At this point I got 12 drops kh from the tank last night. Should I do more RO? My goal is usually to get the tank to 6 drops kh. I have always used vita Chem to remineralize

7. TKDennison Member Member

I found the issue. Their RO water tests at 12 drops for KH!

8. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Wait, the RO is 12 drops, and the tank (mix RO and tap) is also 12?

9. TKDennison Member Member

Tested the tank mix again and it's 12. RO and tap read 12. Was thinking the house was higher but apparently not

10. TKDennison Member Member