Help! What Gender Are My Mystery Snails?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Snailwell12, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Snailwell12

Snailwell12New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    I have two mystery snails that I need help sexing. They both live in my 10 gallon heated tank with my female betta. I believe the are both male however, I’ve seen the gold one mount the brown one many times. Sometimes he will look like she’s mating and will stay on for hours...

I meant *hes mating

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019
  2. LilHoodoo

LilHoodooNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +15
    Experience:
    3 years
    Have a look at your PH/Calcium/disolved solids contents - my younger snails were actually scavenging calcium from older mature snails shells... my PH was way low due to bog-wood in the tank - added a mesh-bag of crushed coral to my HOB and the snails stopped stacking up.
    If you take the time in low enough light the males have (male parts) opposite side of their breathing siphon, and further back inside the shell (- looks like a small siphon) -females lacking the attribute - if they're procreating they grip each other like Betta fish

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    I have been adding egg shells and they both went nuts for it. I also order a purple snail... hoping it will be a female! So you think these are male? I know the males have a shaft on the left side usually and the females don’t ... from these pictures it seems that both have a shaft but I’m not sure?

And thank you for your low light idea! I will definitely try that

4. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Well let me preface this by saying I am awful at this unless I am holding the snail in front of me, but it looks like the black one is male and the yellow one female. The fact that the black one tries to mate with the yellow supports the idea the black is male, but doesn't tell you anything about the gold (since they will try to mate with the same gender). But since the area to the top left of the gold one's head appears empty, I'm going with female :)

PS. also just create one thread in the future, no need to repost :)

5. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    It’s the gold one that mounts the brown so wouldn’t that mean the gold is also male? And yea I apologize for double posting but I am new to this. I posted twice because I realized there was another forum dedicated to just snails. Thanks for your input - I agree that the brown is male but not sure about gold. Here’s a video that might help?

6. fjh

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Oh hmm, that is strange, I don't know. Based on the video, I would definitely say female. Does the gold just sit on top the male, or actually grip the edge of the brown's shell?

7. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    He/She grips it ... also don’t mind the crushed eggshells! It’s funny because I looked up it’s shell shape too and it looks more female than male...

Here’s another one...

Attached Files:

8. fjh

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Dang well perhaps she is having an identity crisis... Biology says female, but she sure acts like a male!

9. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    So confused!!!

10. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Can you get a picture from above the shell? (Hold the snail in hand or in container and picture from directly above where you can see the opening shape from the back.) Males in my experience have a great curve to the shell. This is an older picture but it has two males (the gold and the jade) and one female (the blue, shell much more rounded at the shell opening) in the shot (males had definite ****, female was caught laying eggs).
    20161208_134235.

11. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    I will send a picture tonight when I am home. However, I did look and the yellow one was definitely more rounded (much like a female). The brown was more curved.

12. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    Here are some pictures of their shells:

Attached Files:

13. Mcasella

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'd say both are males then, if you look at the male jade above it has the slight of curve to the shell and the female blue had an almost completely rounded shell (from my picture), in the video just before the very end there is a slight shape that looks like a sheath on the gold, more of a 'u' shape on the shell than anything.

14. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you so much! I just ordered two purple mystery snails- one should be a female but fingers crossed

15. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey guys super confused.... found this in my tank today. Are these eggs? They were found above the water line... I have now four snails (the two mentioned in this thread) and two very small purple babies... who must be way too young to reproduce or even mate. Does this mean the brown or yellow is in fact a female?? They mate like crazy... I’m really not sure. It seems their biology says they are both male but then how the heck did I get these eggs (if in fact that’s what they are)... if anything I’m thinking the brown is a female

Attached Files:

16. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Experience:
    2 years
    From what i've seen as far as mystery snail eggs they lay a clutch that has 100's of eggs in a cocoon type shape. Could that possibly be the egg shells you added and they stayed stuck to your snails or floated up and stuck to the glass and dried up? or calcium deposits from adding the egg shells.

17. OP
    OP
    Snailwell12

Ratings:
    +2
    I’m really not sure and I thought maybe it could be a calcium build up but it almost looks as if they have individual eggs...it’s pretty hard to get a picture

Attached Files:

18. Mcasella

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Eggs will be a pink color, round and in a large clump, they do not just lay single eggs by themselves.