Help: What Do I Do With This One?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Littlestank2019, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Littlestank2019 New Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    my kiddo wanted a fishtank for his birthday, so we did the research, got a 5 gallon tank, pea gravel, starter kit and a few plants from the pet store. We went ahead and set it up couple of hours ago, and we were going to wait couple of weeks before getting fish. Well....that didn't go well when I was emptying and throwing the bags away, we apparently had a stow away. There was no water left in the plant bag and here is this fish, freaking out, so my husband quickly threw it in the tank. Now what? He is definitely not what we were planning on getting, and I don't even know if he'll make it. Does he have a chance? What do I do with him? 58570444_462220424517433_7519375862752346112_n.jpg

2. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Its a clown Plecostomus. I’d probably return him.

3. guppgirl Valued Member Member

That's a clown pleco, far too big for a 5 gallon. I too would bring him back to the store, perhaps they will trade you for credit when you go to pick out your fish later.

4. Memmiklo New Member Member

Is he acting ok? He should be okay as long as he's active. Make sure to give him some zucchini and some sinking pellets for food. However that pleco needs more then 5 gallons for sure. You will end up doing a fish in cycle if you keep him. Maybe give to a local fish store or get a bigger tank for him.;)

5. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

6. DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Definitely a Clown and definitely return it. It is too big and has too big a bioload for a 5 gallon. 10 gallon minimum, but even thats pushing it. They also eat wood and NEED wood in the tank, so get it back to the store.

Research cycling the tank, then get a nice Betta. A 5 gallon is too small for most fish.

7. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

Cute! Wish a clown pleco would sneak into my next plant purchase.
    Unfortunately, I think returning this one is probably the right thing to do, unless you know someone with an appropriately-sized tank who can give it a proper home.

8. Littlestank2019 New Member Member

Beta is what we were going to get in couple of weeks. He was moving around pretty good and trying to either burry himself or attach himself to the glass, but wasn't successful. Once I put the driftwood in with plants attached to them, he is now hiding out, but his fins are still moving so he is alive. Yes, I have a test kit, but I'm sure the water is all out of the wack, the tank is only couple of hours old. We didn't expect any fish in it yet :(

9. Fishcat Well Known Member Member

Do you have Seachem Prime, by any chance? If you have it, or can get it, putting an appropriate dose in the tank can help protect this little fella from whatever may be in the water. If you’ve already treated the water, of course, ignore this.

10. guppgirl Valued Member Member

Is it possible for you to bring him back to the store today or tomorrow?

11. Littlestank2019 New Member Member

I don't have that, I used Tetra Compelete Water Kit (Start Zyme+Conditioner+Correct pH) before I put water in the tank, but the water was in the tank for only about an hour before he got dumped in. I still have air bubbles on the glass. And I went ahead and put plants and driftwood in. I don't have any food and don't even have a net to fish him back out

We may have to try to do that tomorrow if he makes it through the night, will he? What are his odds? I'm trying to find someone who can at least put him in the established tank temporarily, but no luck so far

I do, what do I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2019
  12. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

You'll have an ammonia spike,you just need to keep it at or below 0.25ppm by doing water changes, probably one or two tomorrow, I doubt it will be necessary tonight though. If he doesn't make it, it would simply not be your fault at all, you've done all you can at this point

13. guppgirl Valued Member Member

If you can do it tomorrow, then that would be best, since it seems you're unprepared for the little guy. Honestly, yeah he should make it through the night. No need to feed him if you plan on bringing him back tomorrow, a lot of fish refuse to eat the first day anyways plus adding any food is going to add another source of ammonia. As long as you can manage to get him back to the store when they open tomorrow, then overnight hours shouldn't do him in.

14. Littlestank2019 New Member Member

So, another stupid question...how do I get him to the store?

15. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

You can use about anything that has not been used with soap/chemicals and is food safe. Maybe some heavy duty Ziploc bags, triple bag, fill with enough water to cover the fish, but not more than 2/3 of the bag, generally for shipping it's not more than 1/3. You can also use Tupperware or sterile buckets with lids

16. 86 ssinit Well Known Member Member

Well me I say your there try keeping it. A return trip to the pet store after this ordeal will probably kill it. It’s tiny as is. It will be fine in that tank for a month maybe a few months. Do your ammonia test daily and do water changes accordingly. They are great fish in my opinion. Much better than a betta!! So yes the tank is to small for a full sized clown pleco. But his best chance of survival is going to be in there.

17. Kiks Well Known Member Member

But what are they supposed to do with it after a couple of months of having it in the small tank?

I definitely would take it back. It's not suited for a 5 gallon.

18. Littlestank2019 New Member Member

Thank you all! Thankfully, just found someone who lives a few doors down with a 55 gallon tank! This little guy is going home!

19. guppgirl Valued Member Member

Perfect, glad you found someone to take him! He'll be happy there, I'm sure.

20. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Awesome! And I'm sure he will be well taken care of, clown plecos are normally pretty sought after!