Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Help! What Causes Sudden Rises In Ph?

Discussion in 'pH' started by Handelma, Nov 24, 2018.

1. HandelmaValued MemberMember

So I've had a 10 gallon for over 1 year and usually my pH stays at 8.2, recently its been climbing to 8.4 and I'm not sure why. I tested my water on Thursday and it was 8.2, today 2 days later its 8.4 when I did not add anything to the tank except fish flakes and frozen food. Also my kH is is very low (same as my tap water), but my gH is high (16 drops).

Everything I've added to my tank in the past 2 months:

1 dose of seachem replenish
    many live plants bought online
    4 seachem root tabs
    prime water conditioner (w/waterchanges)
    API water conditioner for stress coat (w/water changes)
    thrive liquid fertilizer by Niloc G (w/ water changes)

Any suggestions why my tank pH goes from 8.0 right after a water change, to 8.2 five days later, than 8.4 seven days later?

I'm confused by this so input would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

whats the pH of your tap water?

KH is the buffering ability, high KH keeps the pH stable, low KH allows for changes in pH.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  3. Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

How would you increase KH without increasing ph or gh?

4. HandelmaValued MemberMember

My tap had pH of 8.0

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

6. Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

Does crushed coral increase gh as well as kh?

7. CarbeoWell Known MemberMember

Nothing added in the tank? Does your water change ph sitting in a cup/ bucket overnight? Trying to see if it's only rising in the tank or if it also raises as it gasses off and rests. Maybe a water softener system involved.

8. HandelmaValued MemberMember

The only thing added was fish food. I usually do flakes, but once a week I'll do frozen. Could there be something in frozen food that would raise the pH? I only feed a small sliver of the frozen block.

9. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

I really have to research this better. I looked up ways to separate kh and ph but they are supposed to be directly linked. Kh isnt a buffer. Buffers are. High kh equals high ph so Im stumped at how this happens

10. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

"KH
    It is a measure of the water's buffering capacity; the higher the KH, the higher the pH in absence of other chemicals in the water, and the more resistant the water is to downward fluctuations when an acid is added."

11. CarbeoWell Known MemberMember

No, i meant more like decorations being added. Can you try the test to see if the tap water swings? That can happen when it releases gasses. If the tap and tank dont match in a well maintained tank I always like to see if tap water that is rested test differently than fresh out of the tap. Do you have a water softener system? Similar phenomena.

12. HandelmaValued MemberMember

So today I tested my tank, its back up to 8.4. I also tested some water in a vase with floating plants and its ph is 8 (same as tap). When I added my plants they have metal bendy things that help weigh them down and keep them in the substrate. Could those cause a rise in pH? I assumed they were aquarium safe because I've seen them on plants in my LFS.

13. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Plant weights are safe.

The only thing Ive got at the moment is researching the reverse of this issue in reef tanks. They use co2 reactors apparently in the reverse of the way we do for planted tanks in that they pull co2 out of the water to increase ph. How much water disturbance do you have at the top of your tank?

14. HandelmaValued MemberMember

I have a HOB filter that allows for a small flow, not strong enough to move the plants, but it moves the flake food around, and sometimes a guppy will get pushed by the current.

15. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Is there rippling water at the surface though?

16. Señor PescadoValued MemberMember

Do you 'top off' your aquarium for losses due to evaporation with tap water? If so, sooner or later, I would imagine that your pH and hardness would only go up.

17. HandelmaValued MemberMember

There is slow movement at the surface, a floating object would move around the surface. Its not still, but its not a strong current either.

18. HandelmaValued MemberMember

I do all water changes with tap water. I dont top up because I dont see much evaporation with a glass lid.