Help. What Are Those???

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd go ahead and remove it, make sure it's not a dragonfly nymph because those things will kill fish. It doesn't exactly look like one, but I'd still remove it since they look similar and it could also be predatory

Pictusboss

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
I'd go ahead and remove it, make sure it's not a dragonfly nymph because those things will kill fish. It doesn't exactly look like one, but I'd still remove it since they look similar and it could also be predatory
it is not a dragonfly nymph due to the tail having three long strands where as a dragonfly nymph would have 3 little tail spikes.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You have gotten an insect lar
ThomasAKirkegaard said:
Hey everybody.
We found some of those in the aquarium. What are they? Are they bad? Should we do something?

Thanks in advanceView attachment 438580View attachment 438581
What you have is an insect larva. It looks very similar to dragon fly larva. If it is dragon fly larva, it will grow fairly large and will eat small fish. I can't be 100 % sure it dragon fly or damsel fly larva, but that's what it's mandables look.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Flushing seems cruel, it would be better to kill it another way first. And I'm sorry if I was confusing, it's definitely not a dragonfly nymph, but I was concerned it was also predatory because they look similar

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Open windows and whatnot. I have a broken window and I've ended up with some pretty weird larvae in mine. Just a single adult gets in and lays eggs, then bam you have hundreds.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ThomasAKirkegaard said:
Nope we feed with flages, pellets and worm cubes
Then it is likely something came in a window and laid eggs. Just pick them out with your fingers or a net and dispose of them. They are too complex of an organism to use a treatment to kill them off without killing the fish and poisoning the tank.

ThomasAKirkegaard

Reaction score
finnipper59 said:
Then it is likely something came in a window and laid eggs. Just pick them out with your fingers or a net and dispose of them. They are too complex of an organism to use a treatment to kill them off without killing the fish and poisoning the tank.
Cool thanks mate ^^

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm surprised your fish didn't eat it. Even guppies and goldfish would go for that, normally, so I'm sure higher-up fish would also (as long as they are not bottom-feeding, algae-eating fish types)

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As a lifelong fly fisherman, what you have there is some sort of mayfly or damselfly nymph. I lean damselfly due to the long antenna. It is 100% harmless. Your fish will probably like the free snacks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom