Help. What Are Those??? Help

1. ThomasAKirkegaard

ThomasAKirkegaard Initiate Member

Hey everybody.
    We found some of those in the aquarium. What are they? Are they bad? Should we do something?

Thanks in advance Resized_20180516_172320_8343.jpg Resized_20180516_172336_7466.jpg

2. Pictusboss

Pictusboss Member Member

it appears to be some sort of nymph or larvae of some sort of insect, probably mayfly.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I'd go ahead and remove it, make sure it's not a dragonfly nymph because those things will kill fish. It doesn't exactly look like one, but I'd still remove it since they look similar and it could also be predatory

4. Pictusboss

Pictusboss Member Member

it is not a dragonfly nymph due to the tail having three long strands where as a dragonfly nymph would have 3 little tail spikes.

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

You have gotten an insect lar
    What you have is an insect larva. It looks very similar to dragon fly larva. If it is dragon fly larva, it will grow fairly large and will eat small fish. I can't be 100 % sure it dragon fly or damsel fly larva, but that's what it's mandables look.

6. OP
    OP
    ThomasAKirkegaard

So just catch it with the net, and toilet it goes?

7. Rtessy

Flushing seems cruel, it would be better to kill it another way first. And I'm sorry if I was confusing, it's definitely not a dragonfly nymph, but I was concerned it was also predatory because they look similar

8. OP
    OP
    ThomasAKirkegaard

I'll figure something out then ^^ Thxx for rapid respons

9. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

mayfly nymph maybe?

10. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

** Goes to flush it ** XD I'm sorry I had to.

11. OP
    OP
    ThomasAKirkegaard

Where do they come from?

12. Rtessy

Open windows and whatnot. I have a broken window and I've ended up with some pretty weird larvae in mine. Just a single adult gets in and lays eggs, then bam you have hundreds.

13. OP
    OP
    ThomasAKirkegaard

Hmm we always have windows open. So that might be it

14. finnipper59

Have you fed your fish any live freshwater food like bloodworms or put any plants in the tank that you got from the wild or someone's fish pond?

15. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Who really cares if you flush it?
    It's just a bug, that's what I say.

16. OP
    OP
    ThomasAKirkegaard

Nope we feed with flages, pellets and worm cubes

17. finnipper59

Then it is likely something came in a window and laid eggs. Just pick them out with your fingers or a net and dispose of them. They are too complex of an organism to use a treatment to kill them off without killing the fish and poisoning the tank.

18. OP
    OP
    ThomasAKirkegaard

Cool thanks mate ^^

19. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I'm surprised your fish didn't eat it. Even guppies and goldfish would go for that, normally, so I'm sure higher-up fish would also (as long as they are not bottom-feeding, algae-eating fish types)

20. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

As a lifelong fly fisherman, what you have there is some sort of mayfly or damselfly nymph. I lean damselfly due to the long antenna. It is 100% harmless. Your fish will probably like the free snacks.