Help! What Are These Worm Like Things? Important 

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just noticed worm like things all over the glass of my aquarium and swimming around. They are extremely small.

I looked online but can’t figure it out. They don’t look like planaria to me.

I did tested my water a few days ago. 0,0,5

Inhabitants: betta, 3 nerites, 11 blue dream shrimp.

Lots of plants added recently.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

TetraKing101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks like detritus works I have them in my tank there harmless. That’s just my guess but maybe a veteran in the hobby could solve this

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theure detritus worms. When ypu start seeing them it means your not cleaning enough.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TetraKing101 said:
Looks like detritus works I have them in my tank there harmless. That’s just my guess but maybe a veteran in the hobby could solve this
Thank you! I hope you’re right! I can’t see any signs of a pointed head, so doubt it’s planaria. Didn’t want that because of the snails and shrimp!

smee82 said:
Theure detritus worms. When ypu start seeing them it means your not cleaning enough.
Oh darn okay. My tank is super heavily planted so I can’t use my gravel vac but I’ll try to do more water changes. I’m doing biweekly now because with all the plants my nitrate just keeps going down on its own!

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FloydtheBetta said:
Thank you! I hope you’re right! I can’t see any signs of a pointed head, so doubt it’s planaria. Didn’t want that because of the snails and shrimp!

Oh darn okay. My tank is super heavily planted so I can’t use my gravel vac but I’ll try to do more water changes. I’m doing biweekly now because with all the plants my nitrate just keeps going down on its own!

Thats the cause right there. They eat decaying organics so if you cant vac remove any rotting leaves and whatnot by hand and they wont leave the substrate.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
smee82 said:
Thats the cause right there. They eat decaying organics so if you cant vac remove any rotting leaves and whatnot by hand and they wont leave the substrate.
Okay thanks so much for your help!

I was actually removing a lot of dead leaves when I noticed them. I think I’ll try to get a turkey baster to get the small bits I can’t get by hand and hopefully that will help!

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can also try adding more water curculation so gunk doesnt settle on the substrate amongst the plants and gets sucked up into your filter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
smee82 said:
You can also try adding more water curculation so gunk doesnt settle on the substrate amongst the plants and gets sucked up into your filter
Okay thanks maybe I’ll try that. It’s on the lowest setting right now because my Betta would constantly flare at it but I can try turning it up. I added much more plants so they might help him hide from the flow.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FloydtheBetta said:
Okay thanks maybe I’ll try that. It’s on the lowest setting right now because my Betta would constantly flare at it but I can try turning it up. I added much more plants so they might help him hide from the flow.
A betta is one of the few fish that dont want m7ch if any water circulation but as long as its not pushing him around its ok.

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
smee82 said:
A betta is one of the few fish that dont want m7ch if any water circulation but as long as its not pushing him around its ok.
Alright, thanks! I’ll turn up the filter and see how he does.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my newbie questions!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom