Help! What are these organisms

Reptiguy97

Ok here's the situation I was looking in my frog tank and I saw thease little moving specks in the aquatic moss. So I got out my electron microscope and started studying them closly. I created small enclosures in test tubes, beakers, and flasks to contain thease organisms. At first glance I thaught they were water fleas but after examining them more closely I quickly found out that they defenently aren't water fleas they look like microscopic tadpoles with wiscers and very fine hairs along their bodies. Their tails are compleatly transparent with what look like smaller moving organisms inside. So after a long day of reserch and Internet searches to find out what they are I have hade absolutly no luck identifying them so I thaught I would ask you all and maby you will have more luck than I did at finding out what thease things are. Here's my only picture I was able to get sorry it didn't come out very well but it wouldn't stay still on the microscope slide.

image.jpg

sirdarksol

Some kind of copepod or rotifer, perhaps?
Do a Google search for each. Both come in numerous shapes, some of them are similar to what I can see in your picture.

soltarianknight

What kinda frogs do you have?

Reptiguy97

I have a combination of mink frogs, small bullfrogs, northern green frogs, and leopard frogs.

Edit: I just serched Google s for Copepods and that's exactly what I was seeing now I do not know anything about thease are they harmful will they hurt the frogs should I remove them what should I do?

Aquarist

Good morning,

The link above will give you a bit more information on Copepods.

Ken

sirdarksol

I have a combination of mink frogs, small bullfrogs, northern green frogs, and leopard frogs.

Edit: I just serched Google s for Copepods and that's exactly what I was seeing now I do not know anything about thease are they harmful will they hurt the frogs should I remove them what should I do?

They are typically food for our smaller tank denizens, so I can't imagine that they would hurt your frogs. If you're breeding the frogs, the tadpoles probably love the things. Many people with marine aquaria set up a refugium that is ideal breeding ground, just so the rest of the aquarium has a constant supply of food.

Other than that, check out Aquarist's link. It'll have a lot more specific info.

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom