3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Acclimating to new environment?

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Emery73

Emery73 New Member Member

I just bought A 2 1/2 gallon tank, and purchased a betta they had been in the store for over a year and a nice large tank with fancy guppies. I purchased two fancy guppies and the one betta that was already in the tank with them. He seemed OK in the store but ever since we got him home he’s been hiding and staying very low and I have not seen him eat even once in the last five days. Here are some pictures etc. any information is appreciated. I’m very worried!

Attached Files:

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

How did you acclimate him into the tank?

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! First of all, those guppies need to go. Not only are they not recommended to be with bettas, but a 2.5 is WAY to small for them. Your betta is extremely stressed.

Second of all, do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? Is your tank cycled?

4. FishFor2018

Yep that’s the problem, her info says she doesn’t know about the nitrogen cycle

5. FishFor2018

So your problem is your tank isn’t cycled, what that means is there is not enough BB and other bacteria to really sustain fish, but bettas are pretty hardy and I’m assuming you don’t have a tank that is cycled that he could go in, so I recommend leaving him and letting the tank cycle. You can add some BB, safe start and/or stress zyme. I do agree with @penguin02 that the fancy guppies shouldn’t be in there with him because the tank is to small.

6. penguin02

Ah.

When you first set up a new tank, you need to establish a bacteria colony in your filter. Fish naturally produce ammonia, which is toxic to them. You need nitrites to develop to get rid of ammonia. But nitrites are ALSO toxic to your fish, so you need nitrates to get rid of the nitrites. Nitrates, on the other hand, are less toxic and can be managed with weekly water changes. You need a test kit (such as API master test kit) to test these levels and find out if your water is safe for fish.

Your guppies are very active and need a larger tank. And they will only produce excess ammonia which will hurt your betta. Take them back to the store ASAP and they should take them back. You can even call the store just to make sure.

Here's what you need to do if you want to optimize your betta's health and get him back to normal.

1. Purchase an API Master Test Kit, Seachem Prime (gets rid of chlorine in your water), Tetra Safe Start

2. Start by removing the guppies. Then do a 50% water change and treat your tank volume with Prime to remove chlorine from the water. Let the tank sit for 24 hours.

3. Add TSS, 24 hours after adding Prime because Prime will kill the bacteria.

4. Check your water parameters over the next two weeks. When your ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and some nitrates are showing up, you'll know your tank is cycled.

5. No more fish can be added to the tank because a 2.5g can only hold a betta. Every week complete a 25% water change and dose Prime every time.

7. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

Hi there! Welcome to Fishlore, I know everything can be a little overwhelming at first but don't worry! We all started with a bit of a learning curve, and if I can understand the Nitrogen Cycle than anyone can!

First things first you are going to want to take back your guppies to the store, or find them a new home.

Next you are going to want to purchase an API Freshwater Liquid Master Kit, amazon has it for the cheapest (20$).

You are going to have to do daily water changes until your tank cycles which isn't too bad with a 2.5 gallon! I would change out 50% of the water and then add new water that has been dosed with Seachem Prime.

You are on the right track for Betta care and please post if you can any more questions or concerns! We are always here to help! You got yourself a beautiful Betta btw, love his coloring :)

** I really need to start refreshing the page before I post something! ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Emery73

I put him in the same time as the others after floating in the bag for an hour. They were in the same tank at the store together.

9. FishFor2018

Okay then the problem is that the tank is un cycled. Me and two others posted how to fix the problem. Good luck :)

10. PrincessBettafish

PrincessBettafish Valued Member Member

Unfortunately a lot of pet stores are misinformed about how many fish can go in a tank. A 2.5 is all right for a betta, though 5 five gallons is preferable. But having more than one fish in either of those two sizes is stressful on the fish.

11. penguin02

When I first started, I was in a similar situation as you. I wanted to keep fish that couldn't fit in my tank, and they ended up dying. The guppies will die if they are kept in that tank, especially if it's uncycled. I know it's hard to do since new fish are always exciting, and I definitely feel your pain. But it's in the guppies' and your own best interest to find them a new home :)

12. OP
    OP
    Emery73

Thanks so very much. I returned them today. My betta already seems less stressed. Not perfect, but better!

13. OP
    OP
    Emery73

14. OP
    OP
    Emery73

Thanks a ton! Thanks so very much. I returned them today. My betta already seems less stressed. Not perfect, but better! I purchased one of those kids and I also put some anti-stress in there for him today

15. OP
    OP
    Emery73

Great news!! Our boy is doing so much better. I truly appreciate everybody’s input. He’s out and about in the tank and loving having his own house to himself.

We took back the fancy guppies, I also have started to cycle the tank as everyone recommended. I bought a test kits I’m waiting for that to come and I also put some stress stuff in there as well.

I bought him some frozen blood worms and he has started to eat. Major success within 24 hours we are so very pleased!

As far as the heater is concerned, i’m wondering if my thermometer is correct because it’s supposed to be set at 77° But at the moment My thermometer is showing closer to 80 is that going to be a problem?

16. penguin02

That’s great!

Hm. What’s your room temp? Heaters can’t cool down water so it could get above what you have it set at. 80 is fine for bettas but if it gets higher you might have a problem.

17. OP
    OP
    Emery73

Should I add some Fritz Zyme? Will that help? It’s 2.5 gallons, with just my betta.