Help weird things on my glass!!

1. Jasonnnnnnnz Member Member

So I use my bed side shrimp tank as a table light. And tonight when I turned the lights on there's a slug thing in white that is crawling on the glass about 2mm long and then this one speck size of a salt grain is jumping here and there on the glass. There are atleast ten of them altogether In the tank and never seen them before and they don't look like detrius worms either. Getting worried as my shrimps have berried don't know what disease or pest they are. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405006505.217553.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405006543.006139.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405006556.131134.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. matsungit Well Known Member Member

Unless they are giving you or your shrimps any problems I wouldn't worry. They may be helping to keep your tank clean. The jumping or darting critters may be just copepods.

3. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I agree the jumping critters are probably copepods which are harmless.

On the other hand the slug like thing you described could be planaria which are not harmless to shrimp. Hard to tell from your photo. Do some research and googling on "aquarium planaria" and see if you can get some photos or descriptions that match what you are seeing. With those super tiny critters its very hard to be sure without seeing them in person or a super zoomed in photo. If it is Planaria, here is a shrimp safe method for killing them using fendbendazole dewormer. Link from planetinverts.com....

http://planetinverts.com/killing_planaria_and_hydra.html

These type of critters are common in shrimp tanks as there are no fish to eat them and keep the populations in check.

4. Jasonnnnnnnz Member Member

I do have a betta in there and the slug like thing is just white.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum