HELP weird dojo loach bruising

stupidzanna

Hi! I’m semi new to fish keeping but I have a few tanks already that have been running great for months. I have a new problem that I discovered today in my 40 gallon breeder tank. In this tank, I have 4 dojo loaches, a gourami, and a snail. One of the loaches I noticed today has weird bruising/damage all over his body, I have no idea what happened. After some research, I still am super confused and want to make sure it’s not an illness that could spread to my other loaches. The tank is half gravel half sand, with a heater and filter, they are fed normal fish flakes. There is a bubble wand in the tank to increase oxygen levels and I do partial water changes every two weeks along with daily maintenance. The loaches seem very happy in their tank, there’s a ton of plants and a huge colosseum for them to hide in. I *think* I have both male and female loaches based on their fins, (in case breeding is involved) and I believe the injured one is a male. Let me know if you need more information, photos have been attached!! Thank you in advance!
ALSO: Have not noticed any harassment from the gourami towards the loaches, although he is pretty big, about 2-3 inches. All the loaches are under 4 inches long.

Attachments

• 92F1A772-F3A6-4F42-8D0A-2BEF6A094E16.jpeg
    92F1A772-F3A6-4F42-8D0A-2BEF6A094E16.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 93ED4EE4-17B3-40E1-A8C5-E5B19199C28A.jpeg
    93ED4EE4-17B3-40E1-A8C5-E5B19199C28A.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 30

BigManAquatics

Any place in the tank it might have got caught between a couple of rocks or something?

Upvote 0

stupidzanna

Any place in the tank it might have got caught between a couple of rocks or something?
There are no rocks in the tank! I suppose it could have gotten caught near the bubble wand or in the filter intake, I’m just not sure if that’s what would cause that type of damage. Does it look like bruising to you, not an illness?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

There are no rocks in the tank! I suppose it could have gotten caught near the bubble wand or in the filter intake, I’m just not sure if that’s what would cause that type of damage. Does it look like bruising to you, not an illness?
Some kind of wound, anyway. No clue what. I would do partial watwr changes each of the next few days to keep that water clean and infection out and see what kind of healing goes on.

Upvote 0

A201

Looks like bruising to me. There is an outside chance the problem might be Septicemia, an infection in the bloodstream. Septicemia is fish specific & not readily transmittable.
As long as the fish is eating and otherwise acting normally likely no worries.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
ginkgo505
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey