HELP! Water Parameters

1. Lovebug903 Member Member

:-\My betta is in a 5g tank roughly about 5 days now. The water parameters were wonderful when i put him in(ph 7.2 as well)...I tested the levels maybe 3 days after i put him in it and the ph is through the roof(dark blue more than likely over the 7.6) and ammonia was .25 so i did a 30 % water change, and vaccumed his gravel. I tested the levels today and the ammonia is back down to 0ppm and the ph is still sky high! Also no nitrates or nitrites. What am i doing wrong? The only chemical in the tank is prime water conditioner. HELP!!

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

how did you cycle the tank?
    daily water changes with your prime will help allot and save your baby till the tank cycles
    salt isnt good for bettas and stability is a false bacteria..it will not cycle the tank properly..

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Fluctuations in pH are normal in a tank that is cycling. I think getting your tank cycled is a bigger concern than pH at the moment.

The best thing you can do is daily partial water changes. Adding the Prime every day will help detoxify the toxins and make the tank safer for your betta.

I absolutely agree with Shawnie. If you are still using the Stability, you should stop. It contains terrestrial rather than aquatic bacteria, which dies when you stop adding the product. Since its bacteria competes with the good bacteria you want in the tank for a food source (the ammonia produced by fish waste), your good bacteria doesn't get a chance to colonize. Your tank will be healthier in the long run if you allow the beneficial bacteria to become well-established without the interference of Stability or a similar product.

Once your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates, your tank will be cycled. I would do the water changes, but avoid vaccuuming the gravel until after you get those readings (plus about 1-2 weeks after that even).

Oh, if you aren't using the Stability, could you please update your aquarium info? Thanks!

4. Lovebug903 Member Member

yea after shawnie told me about the stability, i did a 100% water change and am only using prime> ill update my info now.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

stability wont hurt him..only keep the tank from a proper cycle....dont do such big water changes as a ph shock can hurt him just as much...20-30% a day is good.....good luck with him!!!

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Good luck with him. Bettas are awesome fish.

7. bubblefish Member Member

My PH has always been relatively stable on all of my tanks except on one occasion. Over a 3 day period, it went from 6.8 to 7.6. The only change that I had made was to add a little ornament. I did a google search to see if ornaments could alter PH this much and founda couple of posts to other fish forums where this had occured when a top fin brand ornament was added to the tank. I took out the ornament and over the next 4 days, did 15 to 20% water changes to bring the ph down gradually. I filled a rubbermaid container with water, left it over night, tested the ph which was 7.0 and added the top fin ornament. I kept testing the water and sure enough, it was rising. I threw the ornament out. Could it be any ornaments that may be in the tank?

8. Lovebug903 Member Member

i do have a cave in there? but then what ornament should i get? this would be the 2nd one ive gone through

9. bubblefish Member Member

Maybe you could test your tap water after 24 hours and then put that cave in and continue testing to see if the cave is causing the ph to rise. The tap water has to sit 24 hours before your first test.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

the ph is going to go up and down until the tank properly cycles...I wouldnt worry about your cave affecting it...

11. Lovebug903 Member Member

thanks guys

12. Lovebug903 Member Member

shawnie what kind of filter do you recommend, red sea nano, tom aquarium internal or downgrading to the whisper internal 3i?

13. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

All advice sounds good!

Did you know that a betta breeder (I bought bettas at a market once) told me that putting a few pinches of sea salt in the bettas water was beneficial? I wasn't so sure about this advice (I can be wary of new ideas that I haven't tried) but admittedly his bettas were beautiful. I bought from him my Zeus, Teucer & Iphigenia. And my mother bought from him for me Penelope and Aegialia (this same breeder told my mother that the girls were best friends since fryhood.)