Help!!!!!!! Water Levels Dangerous!!! 10 Gallon Tank

1. jaetee Initiate Member

:eek:???:confused::(:helpsmilie: I don't know what is going on with my water!?! I just had it checked at petsmart and everything but my nitrate levels are all way to high. I changed my filter two weeks ago and my water has been dusty looking ever since. I have tried water changes to...apparently....no avail. The girl at petsmart suggested I use Nutrafin Cycle to help bring down my ammonia and nitirite levels in hopes that in doing so it will also naturally bring down the ph.

I just wanted to make sure that it will work and not harm my fish? Or is there something else that will work better?

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Cycle will not help your water parameters without messing with your nitrogen cycle.

Do you know your ammonia and nitrite levels? What did she say your nitrate levels were?

Daily water changes will drop your nitrate levels down. If you have ammonia or nitrites, daily water changes with Prime will detoxify ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours between water changes.

Hope this helps:)

3. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

When you changed your filter, you removed a lot of the good bacteria so your tank is doing a mini-cycle. What the best course of action at this point I'll leave to someone with more experience.

4. jaetee Initiate Member

bolivianbaby the nitrate was at 0. I don't know the numbers for the other two. She just showed me and they were both in the harmful range.

Is prime safe for bettas? And what is it exactly. Would I easily recognize it if I went to the pet store?

Your suggestion sounds like just a temporary fix. Or do I just need a temp fix until my tank finishes its mini-cycle? I was afraid that is what I did when I changed the filter. How can I prevent that from happening the next time I change my filter?

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

More than likely, as mosin360 stated, your tank is in a mini-cycle. Prime is made by Seachem. It's a white bottle with a red label.

My suggestion is a temporary fix because that's all you need to do to keep your fish safe while the tank goes through the mini-cycle. Prime and daily water changes keeps the fish safe.

Most of us don't change the filter cartridge. We either don't use carbon or we change out the carbon every few weeks by cutting a slit in the filter cartridge, emptying out the carbon, adding new carbon, and putting the cartridge back into the filter.

MOST of your beneficial or nitrifying bacteria is on your filter cartridge. If you don't change out your filter cartridge, you won't lose that bacteria.

6. jaetee Initiate Member

okay. cool thanks. on my way to the store to return the nutrafin and purchase seachem. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. My fish thank you too. ;D

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Anytime. Good luck and please keep us posted.

8. GMCMaxx Member Member

here's a pic to help you
    299.jpg

9. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I also keep a type of sponge in my filter along with a sack of bio max. Pretty much both just allow more of the good bacteria to grow on it.

10. David C Well Known Member Member

Good luck with your mini-cycle. They can be a little scary your first time through. You did the right thing coming to this site, you can find all the answers you can possibly want.

Dave

11. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

For some reason it wasn't obvious to me to when I started out, that following the instructions that came with my filter would actually harm my tank! Luckily I learned (on this forum) that you don't want to change your filter media until it is totally falling apart. You just want to swish it around in the dirty water you siphon out of your tank during water changes. You never want to clean it in tap water, since the chlorine in the tap water will kill the bacteria.

As mentioned above, you do need to replace your carbon every 3 or 4 weeks. If the carbon is part of a cartridge the contains the floss, you need to cut the floss open and dump out the carbon. You can then replace the carbon with new, or just run your tank without it. Carbon is not a necessity and many member here chose not to use it.

Lastly, if you think you are going to be needing to change you filter media, try to place new media in your tank for 2 to 3 weeks while running the existing media in your filetr. This will give the new filter a chance to have bacteria grow on it.

12. jaetee Initiate Member

I just bought a bottle of prime. But now I am confused ??? the bottle says it is a "complete and concentrated conditioner." So do I not need to add my water conditioner? Or do I use both? ???

13. Diggly Well Known Member Member

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Prime is a water conditioner that has the added benefit of detoxing ammonia and nitrites, so you don't need to use your other water conditioner while using the Prime.

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, I just wanted to chime in and say good luck and Merry Christmas. :)

16. jaetee Initiate Member

just an update...I have been doing daily 10% water changes with prime. I had two guppies die a day apart at the beginning of the week....how long do mini-cycle's usually last? My water is still looking dusty. It has been about three weeks now since I changed my filter. What could be going on.

Also is it common for a heater to suddenly change setting with out ever touching it? My heater suddenly stopped keeping my tank at 78. I checked one day and the temp was at 72-74 ish. Very scary. So I had to mess with it an now it is back to 78. But I am confused why it would suddenly stop working at the current setting, when it had been at that setting for over a month? Do you think my heater might be going bad?

17. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

has your heater been exposed to air at all? if your heater hasn't been completely submerged during your water changes and you haven't unplugged it for at least 15 minutes or so prior to doing water changes then it could certainly be broken. what kind of heater is it and what wattage?

i would increase your water changes to 30-40% and continue to use the prime for your changes. what is the GPH (gallon per hour) rating on your filter? the "dusty" look could possibly be a bacterial bloom, which is good because it means that good bacteria is growing in your tank which should get you out of this mini-cycle. keep up the water changes until you get consistent readings of 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and 5-20ppm nitrate.

do you have your own test kit? if not i would suggest purchasing one, the API freshwater master kit is the best IMO, it uses liquid tests instead of the paper strips which are highly inaccurate, and that way you don't have to rely on your LFS for readings.