Help!! Water Change Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by jennlovie, Apr 20, 2018.

1. jennlovieNew MemberMember

i have a guppy community tank that has been going for about 4 months, 3 male and 2 females in a 10 gal, i wanted to separate the females so i set up a new tank yesterday with precycled filter media added some beneficial bacteria supplement gave it a few hours and added the 2 females, the immediately curved their spine sideways and began breathing heavy, the where staying in place but shimmying a lot. after a few hours i decided to put them back in the other tank with the males and immediately they began to go back to normal.

i thought maybe it was a huge change on scenery for them so i decided to take some of the hard scape out of the male tank and put it in the new one which stirred up some debris, so i did a water change and now all of the fish are showing signs of stress. staying in one place but shimmying, fast breathing at the surface and very jumpy.

i got my water from the exact same faucet i have been using since i have had these fish, is it possible something could have changed in the water i dont know about ?

i tested the water, all ranges are average and normal, ph is normal, temperature the same, i used the same water conditioner i have been using... im seriously stumped!!! help!!!

2. PictusbossValued MemberMember

I would say add bacterial supplement to both tanks. The only place you went wromg was when you only uses thw filter media to provide the bacteria. You always want to use at least some of the water from the already cycled tank and add it to the new one. They may be suffeting from ammonia poisoning becausr of this. I am do sorry it took so long for someone to answer

3. varmintWell Known MemberMember

Hi, when you say all ranges are average and normal. Can you give us exact numbers for ammonium, nitrite and nitrates. When you say taking hard scape and put it in new tank: what size is the new tank?

4. jennlovieNew MemberMember

my nitrate was under 20 ppm but more than 0, nitrite was 0, ph is 7.4, ammonia was 0, the new tank is also a 10 gal, i did another small water change from a different fauect and tested again and the nitrate was 0, everything else still the same and the guppies seem a tiny bit more active but very jumpy and still swimming at the surface

i would say i used some of the older water in the new tank because i did 'drip' acclimate the female fish when putting them in the one, by drip i mean i would just add some of the new 10gal water to the water they were in every so often until the 5 gal bucket they were in was almost full, then added it all back to the new 10gal. i know i probably went over board with the acclimation but this situation is what i was trying to avoid...

thank you for your help!!!

thank you !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  5. varmintWell Known MemberMember

Mmm. Where to start. Without having exact parameters I will try to help. First off, transferring water or hard scape from existing tank, does nothing for the BB that you need, to cycle a tank.
    At this point, I would suggest water changes, using Prime as a conditioner and dosing Stability as per instructions on the bottle.

6. jennlovieNew MemberMember

my nitrate was under 20 ppm but more than 0, nitrite was 0, ph is 7.4, ammonia was 0, the new tank is also a 10 gal, i did another small water change from a different fauect and tested again and the nitrate was 0, everything else still the same and the guppies seem a tiny bit more active but very jumpy and still swimming at the surface.

i already use those products, i will just watch them and hope for the best. thank you again.

7. varmintWell Known MemberMember

You're welcome

Give us an update when you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  8. jennlovieNew MemberMember

i will say, i had stepped out of the room to make dinner and when i came back they seem to be even more active and starting to swim more in the middle not at the surface, ill update again in the morning.

9. jennlovieNew MemberMember

update: they were all very active and back to normal swimming all over the tank a couple hours after the last update, this morning they are all at the surface but very active and eager to eat, doing just fine. im curious though, i do need to separate the females into another tank, so i drained the tank i had setup for them and wiped it down yesterday, but how should i go about filling it back up? should i try from the different sink in my house that seemed to work even though i have the same water to all the taps in my house? or should i buy water from a pet store? i need to do water changes for other tanks as well... help again! hahaha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice