Help...Water black from carbon

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by grelsner96, Jul 11, 2015.

1. g

grelsner96 New Member Member

Hi I have gotten good advice so thank you to everyone who helped me. Im starting my new tank thank god no fish were in it. I unhooked the canister, took everything out, and put in the two bags of carbon. When I pulled my hand out of the canister, there was black on my hand, not the entire hand but a big dark black spot on my hand. I can't tell about the water in the canister, but I'm sure it's black as well. Why did this happen? It was in it's little mesh-bags so I didn't just dump pellets of carbon in there. What do I do? I already rinsed the carbon for 5 minutes, until I noticed none of the runoff water was grey anymore...

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

It was probably because you didn't rinse the carbon bags

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

They said they rinsed it for 5 minutes.

I'm honestly not sure since you rinsed it. I'd start up the filter and see what happens. Even if it does cloud the water it should clear up quickly.

4. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't worry about it unless there's pieces loose. It's harmless and will clarify itself if leaked into the tank.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I think he did that after

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. BDpups

Yeah I re-read and I think your right. My bad. Like Dadio said, don't worry about it.

7. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

It should clear up, as long as there's no loose pieces in the water.

8. OP
    OP
    g

Well I have two things to say. Thank you for the quick replies, I was seriously planning on checking this forum in the morning for an answer but thought what the heck I'll check it.

Also, I did rinse it for a while so I thought I was good before I put it in the filter. It was weird because when rinsing it the water was dark grey then became light grey as less carbon runoff. But my hand was pitch black, very black. I will go ahead and go with it and see what happens. I did not turn the filter back on yet, so I wanted to check with you guys before I got the water flowing again.

No loose pieces, so I am feeling more comfortable with turning on the water. I will do and update if there are any issues. Thank you fishlore members!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    g

Just as you all said, turned out it was fine and the wawter doesn't seem grey or anything...Learning lesson for me.
    Also, I had a storm here last night so I turned my filter off. i read once where a guy hated canisters because if he came home from work and the power had went out and came back on, the canister would be running dry. And ruin it. Isn't there some product out there that will act like a trip when the power goes out it will trip itself so that when the power comes back on, it will not send power to any of the connected devices until someone flips a switch back to "on"? Is that true because I have lots of storms and power outages in indiana I don't want to ruin the filter!

10. BDpups

A canister should not loose it's prime in a power failure. None of mine have. I know you don't have fish right now, but when you do never turn off the filter. A power outage should not hurt your filter at all.

11. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

A properly installed canister filter can't drain during a power failure. Not sure how it would run dry... Anyway, there is a device that will kick out during a power failure and need to be manually reset after the power comes back on. I had them on my canisters before I got a backup generator. Not sure where I got them now, probably Walmart. They have a GFCI built in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. OP
    OP
    g

Allright it's good to hear from people that have experience. I was uncertain because I just want to be cautious until I have experience of my own. For now I will go without one. Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice