HELP w/ OB Peacock

SoCalDanielle2890

I've owned Oscar's, Convicts, Jack Dempsey's, etc... I thought those were pretty aggressive fish.. until I got this one here lol. This male OB Peacock is absolutely gorgeous. He's about 6-7in and 5+ years old. But he's absolutely insane. Now that I know his hybrid background, it does explain his temper. But I'm at loss here. I also have an Electric Yellow female. I've caught a fry in the tank once so I know they've bred before.

The issue is his aggression is so out of control that she wants nothing to do with him. She's terrified. I've created caves, done water changes, tried to add more cichlids (juvenile's, he kills them). I've had to nurse her back to health more than once.

Looking for any suggestions. I'd love to have them successfully produce offspring. I'd love to add new cichlids for a community tank. The only idea I have, is to get a second tank to raise up the juvenile cichlids before throwing them "in the ring" with big daddy. He's got ZERO tolerance.

pics attached

You must be registered to see images

A201

Been there, done that. Similar situation with a very dominant male OB Peacock.
About the only way to deal with him is to add a tougher & meaner group of Afican Cichlids.
Maybe add a male Red Zebra, Kenyi, Socolofi & Auratus into the mix. Provide plenty of cover & retreats.
Upon adulthood, any one of the listed Mbuna should be able to handle itself against the OB Peacock.
Unfortunately as long as a female is present breeding aggressive will occassionlly occur.
Here's a pic of the monster I once kept.

SoCalDanielle2890

Been there, done that. Similar situation with a very dominant male OB Peacock.
About the only way to deal with him is to add a tougher & meaner group of Afican Cichlids.
Maybe add a male Red Zebra, Kenyi, Socolofi & Auratus into the mix. Provide plenty of cover & retreats.
Upon adulthood, any one of the listed Mbuna should be able to handle itself against the OB Peacock.
Unfortunately as long as a female is present breeding aggressive will occassionlly occur.
Here's a pic of the monster I once kept.
thanks for the reply! I'll look into getting some of tank mates you suggested + adding more cover. glad I'm not alone in this "love/hate" relationship with OB's lol... your's was stunning by the way!

jmaldo

Newbie, with Africans. Raised mine from juveniles, with the help of A201 and others. Luckily I have been able to segregate the males/females. Before I did the males were always sparing. Just posted I noticed an increase in aggression, as it turns out I still had a female in the tank. Since I moved her things have settled down. It appears they take turns as the Alpha male. Anyway here is my OB Male.

Good Luck!

SoCalDanielle2890

Newbie, with Africans. Raised mine from juveniles, with the help of A201 and others. Luckily I have been able to segregate the males/females. Before I did the males were always sparing. Just posted I noticed an increase in aggression, as it turns out I still had a female in the tank. Since I moved her things have settled down. It appears they take turns as the Alpha male. Anyway here is my OB Male.

Good Luck!
thanks! they really are beautiful fish. I also raised mine since they were young, so you really do kinda get attached. He's like a misbehaved child lol.. hoping I won't need to put him in time-out. here's him as a baby, 2016..

MacZ

I've owned Oscar's, Convicts, Jack Dempsey's, etc... I thought those were pretty aggressive fish.. until I got this one here lol.
Welcome to Lake Malawi... :D

hoping I won't need to put him in time-out.
Just don't. That time-out thing is nonsense. It only stresses the fish out which makes it timid for a short while after reintroduction, then they revert to their normal self. Not worth stressing a fish out for that and risking its health.

Not a friend of Hybrids like OBs, honestly. OBs have Mbuna in them, which makes them more aggressive than usual peacocks. When keeping them with Mbuna as A201 recommended switch completely to Mbuna food. Your OB can manage, Mbuna can't manage carnivore food, though.

As always: read up on Malawi-guru.de

SoCalDanielle2890

Welcome to Lake Malawi... :D

Just don't. That time-out thing is nonsense. It only stresses the fish out which makes it timid for a short while after reintroduction, then they revert to their normal self. Not worth stressing a fish out for that and risking its health.

Not a friend of Hybrids like OBs, honestly. OBs have Mbuna in them, which makes them more aggressive than usual peacocks. When keeping them with Mbuna as A201 recommended switch completely to Mbuna food. Your OB can manage, Mbuna can't manage carnivore food, though.

As always: read up on Malawi-guru.de
He got swim bladder once where I had to remove him for a while untill he recovered. Idk if my Electric Yellow turned male or if she just took dominance, but when I reintroduced him back into the tank she wasn't having it. she was trying to kill him lol. so I've learned time apart just throws them off balance. thanks for the feeding tip as well. I've realized I need all the advice I can get haha

MacZ

Yellow Labs are notoriously hard to sex. I would almost always vent them and even then not trust my own idea. So, as they can't change sexes maybe it was a male from the start.

Yeah... well "swim bladder" is only a symptome of a lot of different diseases. Many different reasons possibly cause buoyancy issues.

SoCalDanielle2890

Yellow Labs are notoriously hard to sex. I would almost always vent them and even then not trust my own idea. So, as they can't change sexes maybe it was a male from the start.

Yeah... well "swim bladder" is only a symptome of a lot of different diseases. Many different reasons possibly cause buoyancy issues.
well I saw a baby in there before when they were the only 2 cichlids in the tank.. so she's gotta be a female. he'll still try to do his little dance but she's just not falling for it anymore lol..

and honestly, I think my son was over feeding him at that time. because he's always been in perfect health otherwise.

New Cichlid Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom