Help W/ Mollies

Owen

Hey! I have three mollies (Oreo, Crush, and Marshmallow). Crush and Marshmallow seem to almost gang up and ram themselves at and maybe even nip Oreo. While Crush and Marshmallow rarely do this, usually during feeding, they seem to do this constantly whenever they see Oreo.

I don't know what the fish genders are.

Tank Specs:
10 gal
No live plants, 4 tall and 1 short plant
1 rock w/ holes in the middle of the plants

Any help with the problem? I would assume it's because they're all males, but I don't know how to determine their gender.

Owen

I also have one neon tetra in the tank, and they don't seem to be aggressive to him at all.

Draeko

Can you post picture of the fish? I can probably tell you genders.

IRTehDar

Sounds to me like oreo is a girl and they are trying to gangmate with her. Mollies are lifebearers so if you look right about where poop comes out they will either have a triangular fin or a big shlong. Do a google picture search for ''sexing livebearers''. Sexing livebearers is actually quite important as you need to have either only a single gender or atleast a 2-3 females for every male. And if you keep both genders you will need to have a plan of what you're going to do with the offspring. Numbers are going to increase and can get out of hand. I learned that the hard way back when I decided my very first fish was to be 1 male and 5 female guppies.

Secondly the neon tetra really needs to be in a school. general consensus says atleast 6. I say atleast 10.

Owen

They all seem like males according to the picture I found.

Lunnietic

Is Oreo a lighter color? Sometimes if one male is very lightly colors the other fish mistake it for a female.

The best way to tell is the fin that's on the underside. If its pointy the fish is a male, if its more round and fan shape its a female.

Owen

Yeah I believe they are all males. Oreo is black with silver or white speckles. Marshmallow is white and Crush is orange.

IRTehDar

You told us the colours of the fish now you have to provide picture evidence. I don't make the rules
Maybe adding 1-2 more would help aleviate the stress for Oreo. But again stick to all males.

But definitely provide the neon with a school.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • kenthebunni
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Emd18
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Al913