help w/ ich

1. alspny55 Initiate Member

I have rich in my 29 Gallon freshwater tank :( in a water of a week I have lost half my fish and now I have 2 silver Mollie's, a Dalmatian Molly, 1 red platy, 2 Plecos, and an African dwarf frog. The rich was of course my fault, wanted more fish and went WAY overboard ... my tank originally had 2 angels, a black Molly,three red plates, the ADF, Dalmatian molly and the two Plecos... should stuck w/ that. Went out bought the 2 silver Mollies, my boyfriend wanted a pictus catfish and ended up getting three which even I knew was going overboard. Well a week later I noticed the rich, looked up Info, raised the temp to 86°f, did a 20% water changed (which I was actually doing when I noticed the ich) next day went out bought Kordon rich attack and started that ... have been using that for about 5 days. Have also been adding aquarium salt and gravel vac ... question is should I add salt daily, weekly... how long before I see results? Plecos seem to worst off now.. severely infested with rich :(

Attached Files:

2. alspny55 Initiate Member

Supposed to be ich not rich.. auto correct :/

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

At this point, you need to do 50% water changes/gravel vacs every other day to remove ich spore from the substrate. The gravel vac is the important part here.

Stop adding salt, some species don't handle it very well.

Your tank has always been, and still is, poorly stocked and overstocked. Ich is going to be a constant part of your life unless we help you correctly stock this size tank.

If you have carbon in your filter, that will have removed any meds you put in the tank.

*Not sure why people have auto-corrected turned on anyway, it seems to create more problems than it solves.

4. alspny55 Initiate Member

OK have been doing the gravel vac everyday but just the 25% water change so ill change that... what do u mean poorly and over stocked? What do I have to do to change my tank appropriately? Oh and I did remove the carbon filter, sorry forgot to add that...

5. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Had ich in the past, I raised the temperature for 86 degrees, daily water change/gravel vac and don't forget the most important thing....aeration, if you have an air pump I suggest you use it because the higher the temperature of the water the less oxygen it has.

Just remember it gets worse before it gets better. Hang in there. Once I saw no visible infection (white stuff on the fish), I continued the process for another two weeks to suck out the ich spores or free floating ich

6. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You were overstocked, as well as poorly stocked.

African Dwarf Frogs should be in a species only tank, they have poor vision and have a hard time getting enough to eat when they have fish for competition (poorly stocked).

Common plecos, which is what I believe you have, can reach 12-18 inches in length and this tank is way too small to accomodate them (overstocked).

Pictus Catfish should be in larger schools and require a larger tank as they need a lot of room to cruise (overstocked).

7. alspny55 Initiate Member

OK thanks all :) the plecos I knew about... going to be possibly getting a 75 gallon would that be large enough for both plecos? That's not guaranteed tho... I was thinking of getting another aquarium for the ADF but that probably won't be for a little while especially if I get the 75...and the pictus I no longer have... they were the first to die off.. primarily b/c my black Molly harassed them (and the angels) until they died :( the angels were my favorite and I wanna get more just obviously not until I can

8. can haz catfishies? Member Member

Exactly the same way I have treated ich in the past an am at the moment too, mess salt etc are a last resort not a first call I think

9. tpasser2 Member Member

so did you do 2 weeks of higher temps and then another 2 weeks once symptoms disappeared?

10. can haz catfishies? Member Member

both times i have done it i have done either 14days or as many days as it takes to see no sign of infection plus 6 more days to give time for one more life cycle, have a read of this article, it might help you figure things out, i know it helped me
    https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm

11. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Ich always gets worse before it can get better. Temperature with water changes are all that is usually needed. Follow the link in my signature. It will help to answer your questions.

Salt is an irritant. Many fish are unable to tolerate it and are often killed by salt. Catfish, frogs and angels are among this list.

If you want to keep 2 full grown plecos, you need to look at a 150+ tank. These guys grow 20 inches and are nothing short if waste factories that can quickly pollute a smaller tank.

I recommend watching craigslist for a 10G tank to house your frogs.

For now focus on your daily water changes and gravel vacs.

Good luck.

12. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I did higher temp to 86 degrees, water change/gravel vac (daily 20%) , no salt because I had invertebrates. Once I saw no visible infection, I maintained my routine for another 2 weeks to kill off the free floating ich and the spores in the gravel.

13. tpasser2 Member Member

Okay, thanks - I just turned up the heat today for the same reason so I was curious.

14. AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

don't forget to add some aeration to your tank.

15. alspny55 Initiate Member

Thank u Catama! Ur article was very helpful and never thought about feeding my fish garlic, didn't know it was beneficial at all :) they get peas and broccoli already.. thanks to everyone for the advice and hopefully I can beat this ich!

16. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm glad you found that article helpful. Good luck ridding your tank of this parasite.