Help! Very Worried! Cory!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JHBROWNE, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JHBROWNE

JHBROWNEValued MemberMember

I thought for sure he was dead, he was belly up in a plant...when I moved the plant I saw him struggle...I got him free but he was having a hard time staying right side up... I got him in the net thinking he was down for too long and brought him up closer to the top so that he could get some oxygen.... he is now in the bowl with the fresh air flowing into the bowl swimming to the top of the bowl for breaths...seems to be getting a little stronger I'm not sure if he is sick or just got trapped.... is there anything else I should be doing or just leave him in the bowl and see how he does overnight I have no idea how long he was stuck...I have already removed some plants and spaced them out more...I feel horrible!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. the guy

the guyValued MemberMember

What's your tank set up like? Do you have a lot of surface breaking?

3. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

Here is my tank A bit cloudy just transferred over to sand recently....[​IMG]

4. iamclaire

iamclaireValued MemberMember

If he had been stuck for too long, he would dead. He was probably very stressed, so your current situation, especially as he already shows improvement, looks great. Just be sure not to leave him in too long, as ammonia can build dangeously fast in a small container.

5. the guy

Maybe you don't have enough oxygen in the water?

Are you also keeping other Cory's with him? Corys are a schooling fish and I understand they need groups of at least 6 to help them not feel as stressed

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

I put him in the little bowl because I just wanted to see how he was doing and to get him oxygenated and see if he could actually maintain without flipping over and he seems to be doing OK...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is his community tank that I took him out of because he was having a hard time getting to the top after I got him unstuck from the plant this is all been a matter of maybe an hour...he has Corys in here...

7. the guy

I understand but how's the oxygen flow in your tank? Is your filter causing a lot of that surface breakage? Do you have an airstone in your regular tank? Does he have buddies?

Are other fish going to the top? Especially your corys?

8. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

Yes, I have an airstone, he has a good group of corys with him 8 including him [​IMG] 20-30 gallon filter....

Every so often nothing that seems out of the norm...

9. the guy

That's tough. If your other fish aren't really experiencing problems I'm not sure. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help

Also have you considered some real plants? They might be a lot better since they are naturally easier for fish to swim through without stressing them out?

10. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

I am considering it now as I just switched to sand to make them a nicer environment

11. the guy

Most swords and aunbias are super hardy. Same with hair grass. My frogs swim through it all the time with no worries

12. iamclaire

iamclaireValued MemberMember

You could always snip a few parts of the plastic plant off to prevent future mishaps! Same thing happened to one of my Cories once. They never did it again. They like to burrow, and like to explore.

Your tank looks beautiful by the way!

13. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

Thank you everyone for your help...unfortunately this morning he was belly up at the top of the bowl and when he would try to swim literally had no control at all and looked so stressed...I decided I would not make him suffer any longer had a real good cry and euthanized him I love my lil corys so much....feeling sad for his 2 buddies that he came home with...

On a happier note all of a sudden my lil Mr Kaplin is finally coming out of hiding after a month...I'm thinking he likes the sand, size and new layout! [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice