HELP Very Sick Betta

Laurajade

Hello, I’m hoping someone maybe able to help me please
I have had my Betta fish ‘Rainbow’ for two years and for about 3 weeks he has been steadily getting sicker and sicker. He lies on his side in the same place all day and all night and recently stopped eating. He doesn’t even move when other fish brush past him. He shares a tank with one Cory and two neons. Plus a snail and shrimp. His colour has faded and has big white patches on him and his fin have become shorter and shorter. I have tried Melafix and water changes. I’ve tested the water parameters and all within safe measures. Four days ago I tried Methelayne Blue hence the colour of the water in the pic below. Seems to have made no difference. I don’t know what else to try to save him. Please help!? Thankyou Laura ( before photo and current photo)

Attachments

• A4B9D0A2-3F8B-4477-B03F-E68FDBA44A4C.jpeg
    A4B9D0A2-3F8B-4477-B03F-E68FDBA44A4C.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 648C0D11-80A2-49B2-A1E9-B957A62B1915.jpeg
    648C0D11-80A2-49B2-A1E9-B957A62B1915.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 20

Ghelfaire

A lot of medicines can be harmful to bettas.

He's probably getting old, male bettas are sold in shops older than females. Although the lifespan of a betta can be anywhere between 2-5 years, 2-3 is more common. I'm going through something similar with my elder female betta. I lowered the water level and reduced the flow of the filter. Floating anubias helps her rest near the top.
I reccomend keeping the water pristine and trying new foods to see if he'll eat. Maybe frozen daphnia or a carnivore blend.

Laurajade

Thankyou for replying, it never occurred to me he may be getting on a bit. I will lower the level of the water and a few days ago I turned the filter down. I’ll do a water change to remove some of the meds aswell. Yea it’s the not eating that’s worrying now so I’ll try some different food. Thanks so much

Ghelfaire

Did the white patches show up before or after you started medication? (I somehow missed that part, it's early morning here)

Laurajade

He had one white patch before I started medication and since then more have appeared.

Ghelfaire

Does it look flat or slimy or fuzzy? It can also be missing scales but I just want to make sure.

Ouse

Welcome to Fishlore.

The second photo is unclear. Are the white patches fuzzy or like little dots on the body? Perhaps get a clearer photo to be sure?

Melafix is tea tree oil, and at most is useful as an antiseptic for abrasions. In most other scenarios, it’s plain useless and harmful.

Laurajade

Hi
Welcome to Fishlore.

The second photo is unclear. Are the white patches fuzzy or like little dots on the body? Perhaps get a clearer photo to be sure?

Melafix is tea tree oil, and at most is useful as an antiseptic for abrasions. In most other scenarios, it’s plain useless and harmful.

Welcome to Fishlore.

Hi, the patches are flat, and he is missing scales which also have changed colour. Overall he’s gone quite dark apart from these big white patches which keep appearing. The ends of his fins have got white on aswell now. I will try and get a clearer picture, the blue water doesn’t help. Thankyou
Hi

Hi, the patches are flat, and he is missing scales which also have changed colour. Overall he’s gone quite dark apart from these big white patches which keep appearing. The ends of his fins have got white on aswell now. I will try and get a clearer picture, the blue water doesn’t help. Thankyou
Hi

Attachments

• DCA8C45B-E14B-4461-8D6A-7C44710182DF.png
    DCA8C45B-E14B-4461-8D6A-7C44710182DF.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 6708F232-000B-472D-9BAB-3027957A502A.png
    6708F232-000B-472D-9BAB-3027957A502A.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 14

Ouse

From the pictures, it looks like an opportunistic bacterial infection has colonised the fish.

Laurajade

From the pictures, it looks like an opportunistic bacterial infection has colonised the fish.
I was thinking along the same lines and thought methelayne blue would help but no improvement so far

Ouse

Perhaps the methylene blue has simply been hard on the fish, and hasn’t helped.

As a measure, I recommend daily 50% waterchanges and, if possible, a “slight” reduction in pH. Clean water with a low bacterial load can help you.

Laurajade

Perhaps the methylene blue has simply been hard on the fish, and hasn’t helped.

As a measure, I recommend daily 50% waterchanges and, if possible, a “slight” reduction in pH. Clean water with a low bacterial load can help you.
Thankyou I will do that. Do you think an antibiotic might help?
Indian almond leaves can help with that too
I’ve never heard of them, I will have a google. Thankyou

Ouse

Thankyou I will do that. Do you think an antibiotic might help?
You’re welcome. :) I don’t think antibiotics will be safe to use or any help.

Laurajade

Ok Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Accents
Replies
Views
bloomire