10 Gallon Tank Help understanding shrimp

Sab80

Hi, I hope you are all well. I’m learning about shrimp. I have a colony of young fire red shrimp, but I don’t understand the grading system, regarding terminology used.

What does opaque mean? Translucent? How do i tell what grade of fire red shrimp I have, or maybe they are Sakuras or maybe some are culls....

Some of them are a beautiful solid red - what does opaque or translucent mean regarding a nice solid red? Do I have to shine a light and what am I looking for to ensure I have a good fire red?

Some have white legs with no colour, some look blotchy red. Will the colour improve with time or are these already considered low grade?

And how do you know which shrimp to remove into cull tank? What am I looking for? How do exoerd shrimp breeders and keepers go about/do this?

And is there a certain age shrimp colour up, or are they born solid red if a good quality fire red?
Thanks in advance:)

CrackerboxPalace

Some of them are a beautiful solid red - what does opaque or translucent mean regarding a nice solid red? Do I have to shine a light and what am I looking for to ensure I have a good fire red?
Opaque means you can’t see through. Since opaque colours are more desirable, shine a light at the shrimp. The less you can see through them, the higher grade they are. Translucent is how low grade shrimp would be described, because you can vaguely see through them. A good fire red grade should pass no visible light through its body when a handheld torch is shone at it, and have a fairly dark red colour, the darker the better.

And how do you know which shrimp to remove into cull tank? What am I looking for? How do exoerd shrimp breeders and keepers go about/do this?
Up to you. I would remove all the male shrimp that still have blotchy/translucent areas, and any females that are significantly more translucent. I prefer not to cull very many but instead move them to other display tanks. Do be aware that females are generally less colourful so don’t end up culling all the females :(

Obviously the culls shouldn’t be able to breed with your higher grade lines.

Some have white legs with no colour, some look blotchy red. Will the colour improve with time or are these already considered low grade?
If they are not fully mature, they could still colour up a bit yet. Other factors come into play too, such as a good diet and how dark their substrate/tank environment is in general. But if they don’t colour up to your standard after all these factors are covered then they are culls.

Any other questions let me know :) I’ll try my best to help out.

Sab80

Thank you so much, that’s really, really helpful :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
Pwilly07
Replies
Views
RDcompton03
Replies
Views