Help Understanding Led Wattage

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by KarenW, Aug 3, 2017.

1. KarenW

KarenW Valued Member Member

20 gal tall, soon to be planted (all low-light plants) with (for now) a work lamp over the tank with a 9 (actual) watt light bulb

I am new to lighting, so bear with me, please. As I've been reading along, members refer to LED lights in terms of watts and K. I understand the K part, but when I look at LED bulbs, it has a number in watts (actual) and Replacement watts. Am I correct that when LED watts are mentioned in this forum, we are talking about actual watts? TIA

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

The watts that you are referring to on the LED fixtures is referring to power consumption of the LEDs. Back in the day, light measurement for aquarium plant growth was approximated by watts per gallon with fluorescent light fixtures, but now we use the photo-synthetically active radiation (PAR) measurement. I have acquired a link for you that may explain it for you. You may have to read this over a few times before it sinks in.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts - The Planted Tank Forum

3. OP
    OP
    KarenW

Thanks! That's more info than I can process, at least for a while! Wow! I guess I just need someone to help me pick out a light since all I have now is a 9 watt LED Bulb and I'm getting a bunch of plants next week.

4. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, until manufacturers advertise PAR, or cheap accurate PAR meters become widely available then wattage or even lumens is really the only practical option.

I'd love to be able to measure the PAR of my DIY leds, but that's not happening any time soon. I can however tell you exactly how many watts it's drawing.

5. dcutl002

If I may, I would like to recommend the Finnex 24/7 SE. Finnex makes a quality light fixture and has good customer service. The light is also dimmable to suit your plant needs. https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plant...501931794&sr=8-2&keywords=24+inch+Finnex+24/7

6. dcutl002

Well, since you built your own light maybe you can build your own PAR meter:

Assembling a DIY PAR Meter - The Planted Tank Forum or
    DIY PAR meter, Yeah you heard me - The Planted Tank Forum

7. OP
    OP
    KarenW

8. dcutl002

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  9. OP
    OP
    KarenW

10. dcutl002

11. OP
    OP
    KarenW

12. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Led lights provide much brighter light at a fraction of the power usage will last 10-20 times longer than fluorescent will before replacing and take up way less space per watt of light produced

13. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

I have seen some videos on YouTube, Aquarium Coop has run par test on some lights. Good info.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice