Help: UGH I'm so stupid! Important

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

I dont know where exactly to put this thread because their was no sub-forum anywhere for 'Stupidity' So feel free to move me around or move me to the corner I DESERVE IT!

So the last few days i've been trying to get everything in line for the corydora's. Finally picked them up yesterday afternoon after being bagged at the LFS for over 12 hours.. I was not happy. So everyone was adapting very well to the QT minus one that was super small and I think is just under a lot of stress. So I fell asleep and I woke up my QT is at a whoppin 82-83F I'VE NEVER had my tank water this warm. I'm thinking what the heck?!?! My 65gal is 76* my 30gal is 83* & they're stacked on top of each other not in separate rooms. So I knew something was up. I pulled the heater out, It was turned almost to the max. I even double checked to make sure I turned it the correct way but i evidently didn't. I did the same thing with the spaghetti noodles last night, made sure it was an unopened package only to open it on one side & the noodles go pouring out on the opposite end!

So if they already hadn't been through enough, I need to get their temp down, everyone's active and acting normal but what would be the best way of the correcting this issue?

2. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

okay what I would do is first a small water change with cooler water that would help lower the temperature some. You don't want to cause to much shock by a rapid change. Then I would get a Ziploc bag and put a few ice cubes in it to let it help slowly bring the water down to the right temperature the rest of the way over time. I would also drop an air stone in to increase the O2 and allow the water to cool as well.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

GREAT IDEA.. especially the ice cubes in a bag!!
    Thanks for getting back so quickly :)

4. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

no problem. Glad to be of some help.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you haven't any ice cubes put some water in a plastic pop bottle & freeze it, then you can float it in the tank.
    If the tank has a lid, take it off and if you have a fan direct it over the water surface