Help troubleshooting my planted tank?

eelgosquiggle

Hi!
I have a planted 20g tank and I think I'm having some problems with my plants.
I have a big anubia, several stems of bacopa caroliniana, several stems of ludwigia and some floating plants that I don't know the name of but looking at google they seem to be amazon frogbit.

Anubia: that's the only plant that is looking in top shape. Green and overall healthy. I have it tied on top of driftwood
Bacopa caroliniana (planted in sand): some leaves are turning transparent, and some have brown tips. The brown tips have been there since I bought it though, and it doesn't seem to be progressing.
Ludwigia (planted in sand): I bought them with red top leaves and they are slowly turning green. I read I need to supplement iron, just wanted to confirm that before I spend money on it.
Amazon frogbit (maybe?): after I added it to my tank it started growing pretty fast, now it's not growing anymore and there are no roots present. I caught my cherry barbs nibbling under it.

I dose some tropica premium nutrition twice a week, the light is on from roughly 1pm to 10pm
The tank is cycled, GH of 125ppm (dGH 7), KH 107ppm (dKH 6), ph 7.5

Wayne73

Hi!
I have a planted 20g tank and I think I'm having some problems with my plants.
I have a big anubia, several stems of bacopa caroliniana, several stems of ludwigia and some floating plants that I don't know the name of but looking at google they seem to be amazon frogbit.

Anubia: that's the only plant that is looking in top shape. Green and overall healthy. I have it tied on top of driftwood
Bacopa caroliniana (planted in sand): some leaves are turning transparent, and some have brown tips. The brown tips have been there since I bought it though, and it doesn't seem to be progressing.
Ludwigia (planted in sand): I bought them with red top leaves and they are slowly turning green. I read I need to supplement iron, just wanted to confirm that before I spend money on it.
Amazon frogbit (maybe?): after I added it to my tank it started growing pretty fast, now it's not growing anymore and there are no roots present. I caught my cherry barbs nibbling under it.

I dose some tropica premium nutrition twice a week, the light is on from roughly 1pm to 10pm
The tank is cycled, GH of 125ppm (dGH 7), KH 107ppm (dKH 6), ph 7.5
Not sure where you going wrong, I couldn't grow Bacopa it would just melt away an never return.The frogbit could be some of the problem they suck nutrients fast from the water column.As for dosing iron I do even though I've no actual red plants, in my ferts theirs no iron so I dose it separately. Do you use any root tabs for the Bacopa that might help you.I didn't for me but in cases we have to except we cant grow some things in our aquariums where others can.

MoshJosh

what type of light are you running?

eelgosquiggle

Not sure where you going wrong, I couldn't grow Bacopa it would just melt away an never return.The frogbit could be some of the problem they suck nutrients fast from the water column.As for dosing iron I do even though I've no actual red plants, in my ferts theirs no iron so I dose it separately. Do you use any root tabs for the Bacopa that might help you.I didn't for me but in cases we have to except we cant grow some things in our aquariums where others can.
Thanks for the advice, I don't use root tabs but I can try.

what type of light are you running?
It's a flourescent 15W "daylight"

JBAaquatics

How long have they been planted? I’ve often had plants that melt away and seem to die off within weeks of being planted but then adapt to the new water parameters and kick back in and grow again.

But as Wayne said, some plants just aren’t for everyone. I dose mine with Fluval grow once a month and all seems fine but as I said. The moss I planted 2 weeks ago turned brown within days and now has new green growth this week. (Image attached) you can see the die off on some and others are growing well.

Planted aquariums are hard work just try different things and plants and find what works for you. You may find that substrate is the problem too, some Plants like nutrient rich substrate (aqua soil, root tabs added) I’ve never had much success with just sand personally.

Good luck

eelgosquiggle

How long have they been planted? I’ve often had plants that melt away and seem to die off within weeks of being planted but then adapt to the new water parameters and kick back in and grow again.

But as Wayne said, some plants just aren’t for everyone. I dose mine with Fluval grow once a month and all seems fine but as I said. The moss I planted 2 weeks ago turned brown within days and now has new green growth this week. (Image attached) you can see the die off on some and others are growing well.

Planted aquariums are hard work just try different things and plants and find what works for you.

Good luck
Thanks for the avice! I've had them for around 3 weeks, I'll keep them in as long as possible and we'll see what happens :)
That's a very cool tank!

smee82

Firstly sand is inert and won't provide nutrients to your plants so any root feeders will need root tabs or a different substrate.

Secondly your lights look like they might just be generic led lights and might not be designed for plants so they could also be a problem. What brand and type are they.

bored411

With the ludwigia, I found that mine grows red only from about halfway up to the tops because they're closer to the light, while the lower half stays green. I do not dose additional iron other than what comes in the Thrive+ that I use to dose my planted tanks. Anubias are hardy and slow growers so I've found they do fine no matter what. If you're doing sand and the plants are root feeders, then as mentioned above, you need to use root tabs. Otherwise, you need liquid fert.

A better light would work best as well. I've gotten away with using two lights in a smaller tank but a light that has 6500K somewhere on it is what is recommended for plants. I have a Fluval Aquasky on my 10 gallon that's got a timer I can set, but they tend to be more expensive lights. See what you can find on Amazon

The browning could be melt (if you haven't had the plants long) so look for new growth. If there's new growth then the plant is still alive and I would remove anything that's melted a lot to make it easier for the plant to focus on new growth and not repair the old.

I had a smaller 3.5 gallon tank that was sand and I found that dwarf sagittaria grows super well in sand as long as you have root tabs spread out if you're interested in a carpeting type plant that works with lower lighting. Java ferns are another hardly low-light-level plant that get tied down like Anubias.

Shrumple

On the colouration of the ludwigia, it will need intense light of the right spectrum to bring out the red tone rather than turning green (two reasons - apparently the red pigmentation is a defence for the plant against very bright light, also lower light will inhibit efficient photosynthesis so the plant is likely to produce more chlorophyll to compensate, which is of course green). I've read that low nitrate levels encourage the red tone to come out in aquatic plants but I don't know what the reason for that would be.

It's still early days for the plants such as the bacopa. I would have thought it would prefer a substrate with nutrition to just sand, but I know many sites claim they should be able to feed from the water column just fine. The frogbit may just be outcompeting it for nutrients at the moment though.

kansas

I use an all in one fert, Thrive root tabs and liquid.

Wayne73

I use tropica root tabs. Liquid fertiliser TNC complete, seachem potassium, TNC Liquid iron.

Fiosco345

I just got bacopa to grow for the first time floating it till a decent rootstock developed helped

eelgosquiggle

Thank you all for the valuable input! I'll get root tabs, a better light and maybe wait a bit more!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SeattleRoy
Replies
Views
Dart
Replies
Views
CHIMERA
  • Question
Replies