HELP! Treating Ich in a Planted Tank with Shrimp and Snails

andrearamirezo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey guys! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. I'm gonna try to keep this post short because my life has been chaos between work, school and the coronavirus madness. I live in Florida and am currently (unsuccessfully) trying to find a way to get tested because I have been displaying symptoms :(

My betta has ich and I want to make sure as much as I take care of my own health, that I take care of his as well. He lives in a 6 gallon planted tank and shares his home with a few cherry shrimp and two assassin snails. From my understanding, medicating for ich with inverts and plants is different and a little delicate. I'm under a great deal of stress and anxiety and I really need help :(

His setup:

1 betta
7 cherry shrimp
2 assassin snails
christmas moss
flame moss
anubias nana
Tank has been cycled for over a year
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5
pH 7.2
Temp: I have a preset heater and I can't modify the temperature. Link to my exact heater below.
Tetra HT10 Submersible Aquarium Heater & Electronic Thermostat, 50-watt

Any advice? I'm willing to buy a programmable heater or any other medications if necessary. I just want to make sure my inverts and plants are safe as well.

Thank you so much in advance.

Stay safe everyone <3

Shrimpgeek

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe try some aquarium salt? How big is your tank? I have shrimp and assassin snails too, and I get good results. Hopefully you test well! It also helps to turn up the temp... Heating pad under the tank works well.

OP
andrearamirezo91

andrearamirezo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Shrimpgeek said:
Maybe try some aquarium salt? How big is your tank? I have shrimp and assassin snails too, and I get good results. Hopefully you test well! It also helps to turn up the temp... Heating pad under the tank works well.
Trying to get tested has been the most stressful, frustrating and scary experience of my life. Because I’m not in what is considered critical conditions, they don’t want to test me anywhere but they keep sending me to other places to get exposed to more sick people, just to turn me down again and again. I don’t know if I have it and at this pace I probably won’t be able to find out unless I get really bad. Thank you for the good wishes though :(

Regarding the ich treatment, (since my fish might be getting better health care than me these days :shifty:) from my understanding using salt isn’t good for the plants. That’s why I’ve been weary about using it in my tank. I know some people mention salt baths instead but I don’t really know how that works! I’m worried because he’s getting worse and before long I probable won’t be able to go out or get anything to treat him. I live in Florida in Broward county, which is basically considered the epicenter of the outbreak in the state. It might not be long before they ask us to stay home and close all stores down:cyclops:

Shrimpgeek

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh, no! I hope you can get that peace of mind soon. My plants are fine with the salt. Do you have sensitive plants?

OP
andrearamirezo91

andrearamirezo91

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Shrimpgeek said:
Oh, no! I hope you can get that peace of mind soon. My plants are fine with the salt. Do you have sensitive plants?
Thanks! At this point it looks like it’s just gonna be a waiting game for us :( I’m not sure what’s considered a sensitive plant because I’m definitely a newbie in the plant department. I have christmas moss, flame moss and anubias nana in my setup. I also have three moss balls in there. Here’s a pic of him in his home :)

9A15B3F5-189D-49AB-B71B-471398BC57F7.jpeg

Shrimpgeek

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow! He looks like he has plenty of space! Beautiful setup! I don't know about anubias, but everything else will be just fine. Where did you get his moss ball?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom