Help Treating HITH (long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemisblossom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello I need some advice about treating HITH in blood parrots. A few months ago I set up a new 125 gal tank with several blood parrots the parrots were healthy and the tank was cycled properly. Then I was given 2 very large 7 yr old Blood parrots. They had scars from HITH (I didn't realize what it was at the time) anyway I moved everything out of the 125 gallon tank and put these new parots in the tank after a couple weeks with no signs of illness I moved the other 4 parrots back in the tank and added a sailfin pleco and my BGK. A few weeks after I did this I noticed one of the parrots had a little round white cotton ball looking thing on his head this erupted and when it eventually healed it left a pit or hole. I think it is HITH. I took all the water out of the tank and scrubbed the ornaments and the glass of the tank and got all new nets and such. I run 2 fluval 405 filters on this tank. I cleaned the filters completely and in one put media from another tanks filter that is healthy, Then added the other filter back with all new media.
The HITH is gettting worse. All parrots are showing signs of it now. Water temp is about 78 degrees and I have both fluval 405's running and do a 40% water change every week. The water tests out fine with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and <20ppm nitrates.I feed them a pretty varied diet. in the period of a week they get frozen bloodworms, frozen shrimp, nutrafin max tropical flakes, omega one veggie rounds, omega one large cichlid pellets, wardly sinking shrimp pellets, Topfin large cichlid pellets, thawed peas and spirila sticks. They also get live earthworms at least once a month. All parrots are showing signs of this disease now and i need something else to treat it with. Today I bought something called metro+ and it says I can add it to food or as a bath. Can someone help me a bit with this? Does it work? Is there anything else I should do?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
I'm actually surprised that your fish have this issue. It sounds like you're doing pretty much everything right to avoid it in the first place.
The primary concern is food. I'd get rid of the Nutrafin and Wardley, but the rest of the food you're giving them is great. Add some fresh food (chopped up shrimp, bits of fresh fish, parboiled veggies, etc...), and some VitaChem, and that should be good.
The next issue is nitrates. Try to get them down to less than 10. Less than 20 is good, but less than ten is better.
I've not heard of metro+, sorry. Hopefully someone else will have some info.

OP
A

artemisblossom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well I think I brought the problem home with those large parrots I was given, and I didn't know it was contageous. I have another tank of parrots that I have had for a couple years and none of them are sick and they have same food same type of filters and maintenance schedual.
the frozen shrimp is those bags of shrimp you can buy for humans I take out several frozen ones thaw them and chop them up small. The metro+ thing is I guess the brand name for metronidazole. It is in a powder form but the instructions don't say if I need to take the carbon out of my filters or if it will be safe for the pleco or BGK. I know the wardly is junk but they really like it,same thing with the topfin but I don't put in much. I thought the nutrafin was a good brand of flakes. What kind would you suggest? sometimes they like the flakes better than the pellets.What is vitachem? and where could I get it? I thought nitrates at <20 was ok but i can certainly get it down to <10 if I try so I will do that.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!
I dont think its HITH....as that IS NOT contagious but the reasons its caused can be......HITH is caused by bad diet, bad water conditions, stress as well as lack of vitamins C and minerals...although the food isnt the best quality, its not going to cause HITH that fast...and your water seems fine.....can you get a pic for us? your tank doesnt sound like HITH can begin let alone pass on to others.....but dont confuse HITH with Hexamita....good luck!

OP
A

artemisblossom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok I have some pictures but couldn't figure out how to post thumbnails so I am putting in a link. do you think some of the brands of food I am feeding are causing this? What brands of food would you guys recommend? Here is the link

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning.

You've been given great info above. So sorry to hear that your fish are ill.
Obviously the fish you received were kept in poor water conditions and not given a very good diet. I , like SirdarkSol have never heard of this disease HITH in Bloody Parrots. Oscars yes, but Bloody Parrots no. Here are some links for HITH for Oscars. Compare it to what your fish have and see if it actually is that disease.
http://www.cichlidfish.com/Adam/hith.html
http://www.oscarfishlover.com/hith-disease

Keep the water pristine as you've been doing and a varied diet is great. Vita Chem...great suggestion too.

I just found this link on Hexamita:
http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/articles/hexamita.html

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Ken

To add photos to your post:
https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/how-do-i/12826-how-do-i-attach-pictures-my-post.html

If your photos are too large and you get a white screen after you hit upload then you can resize the photos here:
http://www.picresize.com/

Last edited:
OP
A

artemisblossom

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you for the information. Based on the pictures i submiited do you guys think this is HITH? I have searched hematia and I am a little confused, several sites that I read said that hematia was the external form of HITH, what is the difference in these 2 illnesses? I could only get one container of the metronidazole (pet store didn't have any more and doesn't expect another shipment of it for about a month) so I don't think I have enough to just put it in the tank I will have to mix it with the food, does anyone have any suggestions on the best thing to mix it with or the amount of medicine to add?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good evening.

I can't say for certain what the fish is infected with since I haven't experienced it myself. The only treatment that I know of is what is posted in the link. Either by pristine water conditions, water changes every 3 days at least, varied diet, Vita Chem and Garlic Guard for boosting the immune system.

If you do decide to use Metronidazole here is all of the instructions that I could find. I haven't had to use this medication in many many years.

Take into consideration those instructions do not say exactly what is to be treated with that dosage.

Let's see what other responses you receive.
Best of luck!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 60 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.6%

Top Bottom