Help transitioning small red oscar.

FuryX
Hi everyone. I'm planning on transitioning my red Oscar into another tank. The problem is that where the previous tank is at is the only place that will have enough space for the new tank to go. So I can not setup the new tank anywhere else and then just plop him in the new tank once it's cycled. I had this wacky idea of setting up this big clear storage tote and taking out the water from the already setup tank and just putting it in there and setup the filter, heater, etc. Do yaal have any suggestions?

Advertisement
Lebeeze
Just move the oscar into a bucket using conditioned water, set up new tank with fresh water,(conditioned obviously) move all filtration to the new tank with the oscar and you should be good to go. The oscar will be fine in a bucket or tote for the 30 minutes or so it takes to fill the new tank. You could drop an air stone in there. Remember to fill the new tank with water as close to the temp of the old tank as possible.

Advertisement
FuryX
Just move the oscar into a bucket using conditioned water, set up new tank with fresh water,(conditioned obviously) move all filtration to the new tank with the oscar and you should be good to go. The oscar will be fine in a bucket or tote for the 30 minutes or so it takes to fill the new tank. You could drop an air stone in there. Remember to fill the new tank with water as close to the temp of the old tank as possible.
The whole setup process will take wayy longer than 30 mins. The new tank is way bigger so I have to setup new filtration and everything. Because wouldn't I have to go through the whole cycling process if I'm using water that is new.

Lebeeze
The whole setup process will take wayy longer than 30 mins. The new tank is way bigger so I have to setup new filtration and everything. Because wouldn't I have to go through the whole cycling process if I'm using water that is new.
A cycled tank means that the media (filters) are seeded with enough beneficial bacteria to convert all ammonia into nitrate immediately.

The water in your tank Carries no beneficial bacteria, so as long as all the filtration gets moved to the new tank, consider the tank cycled.

If setting up the tank is going to take alot longer than 30 minutes, then yes I would put a heater in the bucket/tote with an air stone or small filter.

Most important thing will be making sure the temp of the new tank matches the temp of the bucket/tote water. Dont want to shock the poor oscar

Lebeeze
I feel I should add this

Make sure when moving the filters to the new tank, not to clean them out with tap water or any water that isnt dosed with a conditioner like seachem prime or api stress plus.

Tap water had the potential to kill all the beneficial bacteria on/in your filter media.

CaptainAquatics
I agree with everything Lebeeze Has said however I would like to add that you may have to do additional water changes for a week or two after the tank is set up. Since the tank is so much larger than his old tank the BB will have to spread to accommodate all the new water. While it should be considered cycled you still may want to do some extra water changes, just in case. You should also try to move any rocks that are with him to the new tank and if you have the time maybe purchase 1 or two lava rocks and throw them in the (soon to be) old tank and move those to the new tank when the time comes. Lava rocks are amazing hosts of BB.

FuryX
A cycled tank means that the media (filters) are seeded with enough beneficial bacteria to convert all ammonia into nitrate immediately.

The water in your tank Carries no beneficial bacteria, so as long as all the filtration gets moved to the new tank, consider the tank cycled.

If setting up the tank is going to take alot longer than 30 minutes, then yes I would put a heater in the bucket/tote with an air stone or small filter.

Most important thing will be making sure the temp of the new tank matches the temp of the bucket/tote water. Dont want to shock the poor oscar
See that's the thing is that I am going to need a bigger filter for the new tank which is new so therefore it will not have any beneficial bacteria living as it's going to be new media. So unfortunately I will have to start brand new. Unless.....I take the smaller filter's media and put it in the bigger hob.

Lebeeze
See that's the thing is that I am going to need a bigger filter for the new tank which is new so therefore it will not have any beneficial bacteria living as it's going to be new media. So unfortunately I will have to start brand new. Unless.....I take the smaller filter's media and put it in the bigger hob.
What you do, if possible is actually run both filters for about a month so that the old filter is taking care of the ammonia while the new filter had time to "cycle" itself.

If you cant run both for whatever reason, then you want to definetly put all the media from the old filter into the new filter along with new media you want to be seeded with bacteria.

Otherwise you will starting a brand new fish in cycle which is what you would want to avoid I'm sure.

Also transfer everything in the old tank over to the new tank. Rocks, gravel/sand, decorations. This will all have some bacteria on it to help out as well

FuryX
What you do, if possible is actually run both filters for about a month so that the old filter is taking care of the ammonia while the new filter had time to "cycle" itself.

If you cant run both for whatever reason, then you want to definetly put all the media from the old filter into the new filter along with new media you want to be seeded with bacteria.

Otherwise you will starting a brand new fish in cycle which is what you would want to avoid I'm sure.

Also transfer everything in the old tank over to the new tank. Rocks, gravel/sand, decorations. This will all have some bacteria on it to help out as well
Dude! I can't thank you enough. I was literally stressed out about this whole transfer thing. You have provided me with all the info I needed. Once again...Thanks!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidnut
Replies
Views
nickbuilder09
Replies
Views
OldFort Exotics
Replies
Views