Help Help!! Torn Gubby Tail!

cupdoodle

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a 5.5 gallon tank with a filter, heater and thermometer that holds 3 guppies, 2 blue, 1 orange. I had these guys for around 6-7 months now with regular water changes. Today, I just noticed that one of my guppies (Groot), who used to have a beautiful, blue, wide tail got torn! It looks like when someone tore the corner of a piece of paper It appears to have its regular colouring, however, there's a little bit of a pinkish-redish tinge to it. My orange guppy, Ruby, does tend to swim near Groot, however, I have never noticed any nipping so I'm not sure if he's getting bullied or if it is fin rot. If it is fin rot, are there any inexpensive ways to help repair it? Thank you so much!!
upload_2019-4-22_15-10-0.jpeg
upload_2019-4-22_15-9-37.jpeg

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you tested the water to see what the parameters are?
As far as I know the most inexpensive way is lots of water changes.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like its been nipped and now has fin rot. Guppies are really too active for a 5 gallon. I wouldnt keep them in anything less than a 10, and only 5-7 max then to keep aggression down. 3 Guppies in a tank that small is going to be trouble.

You can try regular water changes, but I dont think its going to correct the actual issue.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is your tank cycled?

If it got bit, it will heal up shortly. Fish fins grow back easily.

I'm more concerned he's sitting at the surface like that. Is that just a temporary thing? And is he swimming normally?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom